1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sheltering yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Jan 22, 2018.

1. mbo

mbo Well known member

Supposedly you are some kind of «wonder child».
    People, friends, family, colleagues, .... are expecting «the best» from you: to become an excellent writter, musician, artist, scientist, ....
    You are suffering an enormous amount of emotional pression in order to fullfill all those expectations.
    But the failure, the frustration, the defeat in a near future is a realistic possibility.
    You are scared of that failure, you are seriously worried about your selfimage, you have fear, even panic, of failing in your search for professional excellence.
    You are fully convinced that you public image will be destroyed.
    You are feared by the shame and the humiliation you will get.
    You are anticipating huge amounts of emotional suffering.
    Eventually you develope pain in your hand/arms.
    That pain is the perfect sheltering for your artistic or scientific great expectatives.
    You must stop you career, so you will never be rejected nor rebuked in you higher aspirations .... and people, friends, family, colleagues,.... just will say «what a pity, and wath a lack of luck.... poor man, so gifted, so clever, so smart, so promising... »

Sounds familiar? To much protection against anticipated and overamplificated emotional suffering? Tipical TMS ?

2. birder

birder Well known member

You could be writing about me. The burden of expectations can be crushing.

3. colls100

colls100 Well known member

Yup. Have two sisters and I was the only one my parents decided to send to private school. Also the only one who went to university,, studied law but decided against being a lawyer. Feel like I've been proving a point ever since - that the career in sales I chose could be just as lucrative, just 'not as stressful' (I mean, I actually have to laugh at that given the situation I find myself in).