1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sharp pain in thumb joint area that lingers

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Thebestwhey, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Thebestwhey

Thebestwhey Peer Supporter

Hello

I have been working towards healing my TMS for just over 2 weeks now. I have had success and am working my way to being healed through daily journal logs, self talk, reading Sarno's books, and getting over my fears

I have noticed a pain in the base of my thumb in the joint that in a light sharpness when i do a pushup or push a heavy weight (chest)

I know this is TMS but the pain itself feels like an injured pain rather than a TMS pain that iv experienced and im wondering if anyone can shed some light on their thoughts? It doesnt bother me at all unless i push on it so i am not worried about it but I do feel like it should not be the same pain each time, usually TMS fluctuates

Thanks!!

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, just read that you have pain in your arm from the elbow down... what I am about to write implies a serious risk that you could become distracted by the physical side of this problem instead of working on your TMS. Be warned!
    Pain in the base of your thumb is usually accompanied by a TMS symptom called "triggerpoints" (oxygen deprived areas in muscle tissue, accompanied by pain in that location or, weirdly enough, in other area's away from where the triggerpoint is located) in one of the following muscles:
    -brachialis
    -brachioradialis
    -supinator
    -adductor pollicis
    You can google triggerpoints and the muscle name to see a picture where you can find the triggerpoint(s). Then you can try to see if you have one, by simply pushing on different locations in that area with the fingers of your other hand. When you are in luck, you can even feel something in the base of your thumb. For example, to find a probable triggerpoint in your brachialis, click on the name at http://www.triggerpoints.net/all-muscles (All Muscles | The Trigger Point & Referred Pain Guide) and look around in the area's where the crosses are located. If you have one, you'll know it once you press on it :)
    Don't fall in the trap of treating them, because it won't last if you don't treat the whole shebang as TMS, I am serious! Only look for trigger points to confirm that there is a high probability that a certain discomfort is TMS. I wouldn't be surprised if you find more than one triggerpoint in the muscles of your arm, since you have pain from the elbow down.
    hope it helps you in convincing yourself that it is TMS and nothing serious.

Thebestwhey likes this.
  3. Thebestwhey

Thebestwhey Peer Supporter

@Gigalos Thanks so much

Trigger point therapy was my savior the last 6 months but the savior was treating the symptom every few hours and not the cause. This makes total sense and i do agree that its TMS but i understand this completely that there could be a trigger

Ill continue with the TMS and look into the trigger if it persists as TMS is my focus and my confidence is in it

Thanks again!

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

you are a wise man! :)
    gl to you

Thebestwhey likes this.