1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 16 Sharing with others about TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by aziemski, Nov 3, 2014.

1. aziemski

aziemski New Member

Today's question to ponder was a really good one: have i shared with anyone about my condition and the TMS diagnosis? At first, i told my parents about the book "Healing Back Pain" when i was first reading it. They were interested and supportive. But that was before the leg pain came back. Because leg pain in the past drove me to an urgent surgery i could see them becoming concerned that i was taking a risk by trying to ignore it or trying to be physically active. So i sort of stopped talking about it with anyone. I wanted to explore the idea on my own and draw my own conclusions without the opinions of others influencing my own. But lately, I've been starting to wonder if keeping it all a secret, like i was embarrassed of it or maybe unsure of it, was possibly delaying my recovery. So i have selectively opened up to a few people who have asked about my "back" and explained to them about my new treatment program. Particularly to those who also struggle with some form of pain. I'm kind of hoping that it might help one of them get better. Maybe if i actually knew someone who had success getting better it would help me with my struggles to accept the diagnosis?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

We all want someone to confirm that our symptom is psychological from TMS and not structural.
    That doesn't usually help us heal. We have to do that our own. I found that journaling about my stressful childhood
    led me to better understanding my parents and older brother and that led to forgiving them.

When I talk to anyone about TMS they either reject the concept or are really of no help to me.
    The journey is within us, not from hoping others will help us.

3. blake

blake Well known member

Hi,
    I agree that the healing and acceptance of the tms diagnosis come from within. I have not told too many people about tms - only my best friend and my husband. I have acquaintance who is living with horrible pain. I told her briefly about Dr. Sarno, but she was not interested. That's ok. at least I tried.

Even if you choose not to discuss it with others, it doesn't mean it's a secret, maybe it's just personal.