1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Share Your Moment of Joy!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Someone recently sent me a video of their own personal triumph with chronic pain, and it was so heartwarming. It reminded me a lot of Beach-Girl's triumph a while back where she was able to go walking on the beach with no pain meds.

In my case, I didn't really have this big moment of joy. Most of this had to due with the fact that I fought so long and hard to convince the world that my pain was real that I couldn't believe the answer to all of my symptoms was right in front of me all along. But I think having a collection of these moments can be very inspiring for people starting out as it shows just how transformative this approach is. They can also serve as an example of just how far we have come in our recoveries, especially when we doubt how far we have come.

Has anyone else experienced this same kind of joy in getting their lives back? I would love to hear what those moments were like :)

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

I remember during the painful TMS episode, I had a moment of joy and realization that Dr. Sarno was onto something. I was already weeks into pain and not being able to work but had been reading his books. Family had time off xmas week and wanted to drive to Niagara Falls for a change of scenery. Pain or no pain, I was going. I just had to get out of the house. I was going to have the middle seat in the truck to myself to lie down (couldn't sit). Next day I insisted on stopping at a favorite store in Canada -- I was all the way there (in Canada) and I WAS GOING to my fave store--pain or no pain.

After walking through many aisles in the store, it was a wonderful moment at the check-out register when I noted to myself that I had been there for 45 minutes walking--longer than I'd been on my two feet for probably a month. This point was pivotal for me--realizing that my pain was not due to herniated discs or whatever other stuff was going on with my back. YAY! I remember getting back in the truck and saying to my family -- "so did you guys just notice how long I was walking around w/ no pain?!? how interesting was THAT!" I'll never forget it; I still chuckle when I think about it .

Shortly after this event, I was totally pain free.

Forest likes this.