1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 9 Setback in pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MellieV, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

I'll be starting Day 9 today. I had a setback this weekend when I ventured out to Target for a very short shopping trip. Pain in my knees and feet snuck back up on me. I don't want to write too much about it because I don't want to obsess on it, but it was a serious bummer. I won't lie, even after everything I know, it ruined the rest of my day.
    Hoping I get back on track today, but it's not easy with discomfort.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mellie. I'm sorry you had the knee pain while at Target. I hate shopping in big stores like that and Walmart or Costco because they are so noisy and full of people. I think those conditions can make anyone distressed and that can cause pain because our subconscious wants us to discover our repressed emotions. Not to discourage you from going out and shopping or doing anything, but I am 85 and have learned how pleasant it is to do most of my shopping on the Internet. I look for things at amazon.com and find stores and other sellers at discount prices, often with free shipping. So maybe you can do more shopping that way, and drive for pleasure and fun.

MellieV likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes MellieV, don't obsess about the setback. They happen and are normal. We all want a quick "cure." That is understandable. At the same time, the best course is to relentlessly do the SEP, think psychological, have confidence in yourself and your process. It is a mind training which takes time, and you are on your way...

MellieV likes this.
  4. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Mellie,
    I look at your setback as great news. Even as awful as it is. ...this reinforcement of more pain means you are on the right track. Your mind will continue to create pain in turn trying to create doubt that it is a physical problem not psychological.

Talk back to it. ..."it doesn't matter how much you hurt, knee and feet, I am not stopping this program."

You can do it.

MellieV likes this.
  5. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for this support everyone. What a great motivator! It is such a help to hear this from you all who know exactly what I am going through.