1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Set Back

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rcal43, Jan 7, 2014.

1. rcal43

rcal43 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with Dr. Rashbaum today, my TMS doctor, after 2 months of consistently reading the Sarno books and using working through the TMS structured education program (day 32), I am really not feeling significantly better (10-15% progress). I am 24 and we still fairly active at my worst, limited to swimming and long walks, but healthy. The progress I have made is getting back to the gym (elliptical and some lifting) in addition to the walking and swimming. This is because I am now sure that I will not hurt myself.

I called to find out if there were any psychologists in the area that who are familiar with TMS and I was told no. I would have to commute about an hour and a half to Manhattan.

First, I am curious if anyone lives in Fairfield County Connecticut and knows of psychologists here who work with TMS. I would really appreciate a recommendation.

Second, I have approached a psychologist I began seeing in December about TMS and she is very receptive, but I would like to be able to help he help me to the greatest extent possible—has anyone successfully introduced his/her psychologist to TMS?

For those of you who have successfully treated your TMS without psychotherapy and it took you longer than 4 months, what did you find most successful?

Thanks for your support and advice,

Ryan

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Connecticut
    Jennifer Denkin, PhD (Therapist)
    Dr. Denkin has seen over 500 patients with PPD/TMS symptoms over a nine year span. She continues to receive education and training on treating PPD. Her speciality is in mind-body work, chronic pain, somatic disorders, anxiety, diet and nutrition to help others. In addition she does treat patients via skype.

Available via Phone and Skype
    51 Locust Avenue
    Suit 302
    New Canaan, CT 06840
    jdenkin@denkinassociates.com
    Survey Response

Leslie Reis, LCSW (Therapist)
    75 Kings Highway Cutoff
    Fairfield, CT 06824
    (203) 333-1133

Dario M Zagar, MD (Physician)
    Dr Zagar is the Director, Neuropsychology Services at The Associated Neurologists of Southern Connecticut, P.C. They offer Mind-Body Medicine, which “typically focuses on interventions believed to promote health and wellness such as Yoga, Relaxation, Biofeedback, Clinical Hypnosis, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapies. The Mind-Body Medicine perspective views illness as an opportunity for personal growth and healthcare providers are guides in this transformative process. Frequently, Mind-Body Medicine focuses on the impact of stress and the development of illness and the worsening of symptoms such as pain.” (Source)

Associated Neurologists of Southern Connecticut
    75 Kings Highway Cutoff
    Fairfield, CT 06824
    (203) 333-1133
    Website
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Cigna, Healthnet, Medicaid, Medicare, BCBS, United Health Care, Wellpoint

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

rCal... Tennis Tom gave you some good names of psychologists who work with TMS patients. Hope one of them helps you.

Meanwhile, I think you would benefit greatly by watching the video Dr. Sarno has, based on his book The Mindbiody Prescription. It's like having a private session with him. He explains TMS so well and is so convincing that we can heal through recognizing our repressed emotions. Here is the URL to the video:

5. rcal43

rcal43 New Member

Thank you so much both of you!

6. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

Hi Ryan,
    I just want to tell you that you have made a lot of progress. I have noticed that a lot of people do not heal right away. Remember we mostly read about the fast recoveries, not the one that take long. Most people don't even consider this type of therapy. I still have a lot of pain but like you I know now that further exercise will not damage me more. I now exercise everyday, with weights, and play volleyball, which I love. I have read a lot of books, done different therapies (never tms psychology, I can't afford it) and I am still hanging in there because I do know for sure this is the only solution. Four months is not a lot, and you have made already a lot of progress 10-15 %, it shows you that you will heal at the long run. We all will heal at our own pace, so good work and hang in there. A good book for self-healing is Dr. Schubiner's book "Unlearn your pain", maybe you can try it.
    Good luck!

Leonor

7. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ryan,
    I was having severe leg spasms from Oct 2011 to Jan. 2012. I went to see Dr. Rashbaum because I was having trouble getting to the next level and I was slightly stuck. To be honest he is a knowledgeable and nice dr. but he didn't really inspire confidence. He
    sort of lacks in that dept. I read Monte Hueftle's book and that was the ticket I needed. I was totally rid of the leg spasms (and lower back and pirformis pain) after 4 months. I honestly think you can overcome TMS by watching Dr. Sarno videos and doing a program on your own such as DR. Schubiners. He called me back when I had a question about RSD and within 5 minutes he inspired that confidence I needed. This is such a supportive site! We have all been there and know you can do it!

8. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

9. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Thank you MiffyBunny for posting this. It was very timely indeed for me. I was feeling very discouraged tonight , went on the forum, read your post and was reminded that I was not alone in the RSD struggle. I am beginning week 3 of Dr. Schubiner’s book . Since I had already begun my journaling last spring with the Scott Brady book, some of it is doubling up for me as I search and search for hidden emotions to surface during my writings. I am somewhat stuck.
    I wish you all the best as you work on the program.

10. miffybunny

Hi Lavender,
    I completely understand your situation and feelings. RSD is so bizarre and painful in nature that I could have never conjured this pain if I tried. It has brought me to my knees but I have decided that I refuse to allow it to intimidate me. I think of it as the most extreme mindbody syndrome but STILL recovery is possible. WE are so lucky to have this knowledge. It's just a question of integrating it over time. You do not have to search and search or strive. Allow things to unfold and do not put pressure on yourself with time frames and outcomes. This is a process. It's nice to know someone else can relate because most people have never heard of this (I don't even use the term RSD/CRPS anymore -they are just labels and do not define me) . I spoke to a swimming instructor who told me about a woman who swam every day to keep her RSD under control. That was a huge red flag for me. It's fine to swim if one enjoys that as a form of exercise, but the mindset this woman has is that of a crutch and one that sounds fear based. The swimming instructor also shared that her dad suffers from RSD and is a mess". Uuuugh! I dismiss these comments and do not wish to compare. I also do not buy into the whole "be careful of falling or bumping into something or the RSD will spread!" I have rejected all these notions and basically "fake it till you make it" is my motto. I believe in myself and I believe in you!

11. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

MiffyBunny, you made me smile reading this post. Your language has radically changed from despair to hope in a dramatic fashion. You adopted the "fake it until you make it" ideology. I wrote that on page 300 of GPD, but I didn't create it. I'm sure you read it somewhere else. But it's not until you "believe it" that you heal. You can fake it, but your brain knows how to break it, if it isn't true. Inner truth has to align with outer Truth or conflict persists.

"I read Monte Hueftle's book and that was the ticket I needed." Really? Interesting, and added value. The TMS docs will be fascinated and surprised to hear that. But it does prove the demonstrable principle of "belief, " whether it makes sense or not.

Be well

Steve

12. miffybunny

Hi Steve! In my post response to Ryan I was referring to my first go-around with TMS. At that time Monte's manual had a few tools for toolbox so to speak (I started yoga for fun for ex.) but your book was by far my favorite on a personal/spiritual level. It is quite dog eared and highlighted and I would mention it often to friends and family. I think the RSD really threw me for a loop and Dr Shubiner's brief phone call followed by your responses to me on this site were what I needed to conquer my doubt and fear (terror actually lol). This time the stakes were even higher so I feel truly blessed to have this site as a support system. Thank you soooo much again!
    MiffyBunny

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Miffybunny. Love your TMS forum name.

I agree that Steve's book is great, a combination of personal success story and TMS healing techniques.
    He is an incredible example that it works.

He suggests laughter in his book, as being a technique for healing pain, and I find it to be one of the
    most helpful. When something makes me angry or frustrated, or I start to worry about something,
    I laugh and those feelings go away fast.

It's strange, but we may not be able to fool our unconscious that we believe 100 percent in TMS
    when we know we believe something less than that (that our pain may be structural or from aging).
    But we can fool our unconscious into thinking a fake laugh is the real thing. The laughing just registers
    in our unconscious as the real thing. That alone is something to laugh at.

14. miffybunny

Hi Walt,
    I agree that we have to laugh and enjoy all the positive things we are surrounded by. It's a question of becoming more aware of joyful moments and not taking things for granted. My grandmother lived to 100 and she had the best attitude of anyone I've ever known. She never let small things bother her because she understood what really matters. I often think of her when I'm stressed and it helps me shift my thoughts. Rather than dwelling on past and present hurts, it's healthier to watch a funny show, listen to music ( I love opera lately because it transports me), take a walk, play with my kids, appreciate small things... whatever. I figure even if I have to fake it sometimes, my brain will catch up to my behavior. If I project a healthy attitude and a healthy image, it will be reflected back to me by others. My brain will eventually absorb a new reality. Once you know something you can't un-know it!

15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

That's the girl! Keep being positive and find joy in life.

I too love opera. Saw a lot of opera at Lyric Opera in Chicago over the years and some greats were performing.
    Also heard a lot of opera stars in recitals. And saw some great opera in Europe. I was in the USArmy in Frankfurt, Germany
    for a year back in the 1970s and they performed opera all year around except for July which was Ballet Month.
    I got to improve my German by hearing operas in that language in Frankfurt.

A few years ago I discovered Opera Australia when the Chicago PBS station showed La Boheme with David Hobson as Rudolfo. He was fantastic. It's available for rent on DVD from Netflix. Usually, a soprano singing Mimi is the star,'
    but Hobson stole the show. If you like handsome young men with acting talent and a beautiful tenor voice, that's Hobson.

16. miffybunny

Hi Walt,
    I would love to see an opera at Lincoln Center one of these days. If I could come back here in another lifetime, I would want to be an opera singer lol. I will definitely check out Hobson....I've always had a thing for musical men! Especially handsome ones! haha....
    MiffyBunny

17. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

MiffyB, you can't keep us in suspenders any longer. Where did you get your screen name?

I was referring to the power of belief in my last response to you. It looked like you said that all the TMS stuff had failed and that Monte suddenly saved you. That would have been odd since Dr. Sarno's TMS stuff continues to work every day, nonstop. But--that doesn't presuppose the awesome power of belief in healing. I know without doubt, that I could send people into severe pain with the wrong words, as many doctors do every day. What people believe will happen to them, will happen to them. If people believe in Dr. Schubiner they tend to heal, if they believe in Dr. Sarno they heal. If for some reason someone believes that Monte has come up with a healing panacea on his own, they may heal. Marc 11 v 23-24.

My stance has always been the same. There's no right or wrong way "to have healed." (past tense, not present). I would have taken purple colored mercury laced with garlic if it would have taken my suffering away. The placebo has become the pejorative for some reason, but it's actually what we're seeking.

I know from talking to the TMS docs that they won't endorse anyone's work, that they already haven't endorsed. And that people, whose names may rhyme with "onty" have been saying that Dr. Sarno's work is old and outdated. I have an email in front of me proving it. So be careful whose ship you tie your flag to. Dr. Sarno's work is still relevant and always will be because he found the magic bullet. Figuring out how to fire that bullet may prove to be more complex.

Call me sometime Miff

Steve

Ales, Forest and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  18. miffybunny

Hi Steve, I should clarify. Dr. Sarno completely saved my life and even put me on a spiritual path. Even though I had completely accepted the diagnosis of TMS, I needed some techniques throughout the day. Monte had some tips (breathing, ways to talk back to the TMS etc...) that helped me to integrate Dr. Sarno's work. At the time, I wasn't aware of the TMS wiki and I stumbled across him on a runner's message board (I don't run at all though). It just sort of cinched the deal for me. This was during my fourth month of recovery from the leg spasms. I was completely pain free after four months!

My screen name comes from a cartoon character similar to Hello Kitty. I think the person who created Miffy was from Holland. There's a show called "Miffy and Friends" and a book series. My favorite is "Miffy Loves New York City" lol. It's a combo of Miffy with photos of her in Central Park, the subway, Ellis Island, the Bronx Zoo, etc.

Anyway, I would very much enjoy speaking to you in more depth since it's " sort of a long story"....Your book was my favorite in terms of engaging the reader, blending psychology and spirituality, and your own personal story...so inspirational and relatable! Looking back, I carried it around like a blankie for awhile since I found it comforting.

MiffyBunny

19. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve - we do not have to tie our flag to one ship. I do not know what you have in the email you referred to, but Monte Hueftle's work in the Master Practice has a whole lot to offer and in no way puts down or contradicts Sarno's work. Miffybunny is not the only one who has been helped by Monte Hueflte's work. I would hate for us to discourage anyone from reading his book and audio recordings. They have helped me enormously.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Lily Rose likes this.
  20. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I have benefitted greatly from this thread….just the shot in the arm I needed this morning. Thanks, all! And MiffyBunny, I too love your screen name.