1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 42 sesamoiditis

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mncjl123, May 27, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

hello. I was diagnosed with turf toe / sesamoiditis over 3 years ago after an injury to my right foot. I have been unable to walk since then without severe pain. the doctors said it was an injury like football players get and loose their career.

I have been wheelchair bound and have struggled to try and walk since starting the educational program. Unfortunately, each step causes pain. The bottom of my foot where the sesamoid bones are - are so sensitive to touch. They swell and are more pronounced and stick out unlike my left foot where I feel no pain. Sometimes the little bones move and cause even more pain.

I have lost so much muscle mass from not walking or exercising as I also have sciatica going down both legs.

Doctors think it is something pulling on my metatarsal heads from the back and leg.

all I know is I want to walk again without pain.

Is sesamoiditis / severe turf toe TMS? Can it heal? The MRI results show the capsulitis and tendonitis surrounding the bones as well as swelling and fluid.

Do I have another mri after 3 years to see what has changed and why it wont heal?

I have tried everything from resting for months, ultrasound, pt, ot, and painful exercises that make it worse.

it hurts and throbs even at rest.

Please help if you have any suggestions.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. mncjl. I'm sorry that you are in such pain. I am not a doctor so I can't give you medical advice, but it might help you to have another MRI since it has been 3 years since your last one. I think MRIs can be misleading. And even if they show some structural problem, it may have been caused by TM, repressed emotions. It certainly will not harm you to take the SEProgram and could be very helpful in healing you.

Are you confident that the foot doctors you have seen are doing anything to really help you? It makes me wonder why your pain is only or mainly in your right foot.

My gut feeling is that doctors have not been able to cure you because they really don't know what the cause of your pain is. Have they given you any medication? I myself do not believe in relying on pain killers. I think most of our symptoms are from our emotions. I think it will benefit you a great deal if you do the journaling in the SEProgram to learn more about your emotions. You may be repressing something or things as far back as your childhood. Or you may have a perfectionist or "goodist" personality,wanting to please everyone and for them to like you. Those can bring on emotional stress that our subconscious reacts to by sending us pain.

You have been in the SEProgram for 42 days? Have you discovered anything about yourself that may be causing your pain?

I encourage you to be hopeful. Think of yourself being free of pain and walking again.

3. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

Hmmmm, this is tough. I agree, a new mri or even bone scan may be helpful. You don't write about life circumstances prior to or when the onset of pain occurred. Were they challenging? I had pain start in a foot at 20. I was not experiencing difficulties. I was annoyed by the pain, but never depressed or anxious about it. I tried various treatments and eventually had the proximal sesamoid bone removed. It was found in surgery is had worn down cartilage. Went on to run 4 marathons. Now every story and journey is different. I have crappy TMS elsewhere now, but I'm 39. So I just ask are you overly anxious and focused on this, do you fit the profile for TMS prone personalities?

4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

My little TMS brain did not like this response. And put more doubt in my mind. Yes I have TMS personality!!! That is why I am trying to get positive feedback. That yes it is TMS and you can get rid of the pain.

5. she333

she333 Peer Supporter

Ok, well that's why I ask about events going on before and during the onset of pain. Is it impacted by stress? Does it vary in quality ? Does it ever move around ? Does it cause a lot of anxiety for you? These point to TMS, in which case yes you can get rid of the pain without medical intervention.

6. call_on_angels

call_on_angels New Member

Its been a few months since the last post but @mncjl123 - has it gotten better? I've been struggling for 8 months with pain in 1 foot around the sesamoid bones. my MRI showed capsulitis too, but nothing else unusual. My doctor also said that removing the sesamoid bones only helped about 50% of the time, which makes me think its TMS, but it hurts so bad to walk and it takes so long to recover, that I dont want to make things worse if its not TMS for me...