1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 SEP exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mirepoix, Apr 6, 2015.

1. mirepoix

mirepoix Peer Supporter

What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind? If you feel comfortable sharing, post your response in the SEP section of the discussion forum.

I would say the most disheartening thing a doctor told me, after the third time seeing him, without having any real answers for me as to why I was in so much continual pain, was to offhandedly suggest “maybe it is just arthritis getting started early.” (I am 33.)

“Getting started early.” These three words were so devastating to me. This is only the beginning. We are just warming up here. There is still an entire lifetime of horrible pain in store, just you wait. In fact, it is only going to get worse, and worse, and worse. I walked out of there so defeating just thinking there is no real point in going on with life if this is all I have to look forward to. It makes me so angry to think about it.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mirepoix,
    I had many terrible, wrong things mentioned to me as "gospel" by lots of physicians. Most know nothing about the actual causes of pain. Welcome to the SEP, and good luck.
    Andy B.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

A cancer surgeon told me he needed to operate on my neck to remove a tumor.
    I demanded a culture be taken first and over his rigid objections, it was taken.
    Turned out the pimple on my neck was a small water blister that was harmless
    and I avoided having my neck cut open.

I have been skeptical of doctors ever since.