1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

SEP Day 42

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jorgem12, Feb 23, 2020.

1. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

What have you learned about yourself by going through this program?

I've learned how me not expressing my emotions throughout my life has triggered physical symptoms. I've learned that I'm a perfectionist in many parts of my life that I never thought I was such as in my work, learning, athletics (soccer), and romance. This has been a great realization since I used to think that perfectionists were the people that worked harder and longer than other people. But, the way I noticed it in myself was realizing that I am afraid of making mistakes, failing, and not pleasing others in my performances. Knowing this now I've taken a step back at times such as with soccer and learning (at work) and given my self some self-compassion telling myself that I cannot be perfect. It's a challenge but definitely a step in the right direction.
    Some of my symptoms are still aggressive such as insomnia, anxiety, some lower back pain at times, and even a bit of excessive gas (gastrointestinal). Yet, keeping faith in myself and taking care of myself is what I think is going to help me now.
    I'm going to finish The Divided Mind and then I will likely begin the Pain Recovery Program. I have made many improvements throughout the program which makes me proud because it helps me realize that change can come from inside.

JanAtheCPA and ssxl4000 like this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Great job getting to the end! Keep the faith like you said. It took me another four months after finishing the program to feel "healed." And even so, I still do read a lot of TMS material and meditate. I think TMS treatment is a lifetime thing.

jorgem12 likes this.
  3. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

Thank you! Yeah, I think it definitely is a lifelong thing.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree 100%. It gets easier over time - it's almost always automatic for me to think "probably TMS" these days. But if I become mindless and stressed out, my bigger symptoms can creep back in. I find that free-writing every night is a very good practice for clearing my brain in order to sleep better and reduce symptoms.

jorgem12 and ssxl4000 like this.
  5. jorgem12

jorgem12 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the insight!