1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

SEP - Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mdh157, Feb 4, 2015.

1. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I am just starting on this journey to become pain/worry free and am looking forward to the positive changes the future has for me. I recently posted in the support forum explaining some of what I am going through, you can read that under the heading, "New member hoping I have TMS". Anyway, despite my own mind pushing me hard in the direction of continued pain/worry I am pressing forward as there is currently no medical explanation for what I have been experiencing.

I have not been officially diagnosed with TMS or anything else........but the characteristics of my pain/other symptoms such as coming/going, moving, etc, and my obsessiveness/constant anxiety all lend themselves to TMS. I've also found that the more I think about things, the longer my list of concerns gets. Anyone else have that problem?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm also a worry-wort and my Zodiak sign of Cancer has me as that and someone who always thinks the worst (catastrophic).

I started having severe back pain two years ago and healed in about a month through learning about TMS and reading Dr. Sarno's book,
    Healing Back Pain. A nurse friend told me about both.

The SEP is a wonderful way to learn about TMS and techniques of healing.
    It's essential that you stop thinking your pain is structural and to believe 100 percent that it is TMS, from repressed emotions
    (often they go back to childhood) and/or a perfectionist or "goodist" personality, wanting everyone to approve of and like you all the time.

It would be helpful if you started journaling about your anxieties, fears, etc. Writing about them for 15-20 minutes a day will help you
    discover what your repressed emotions are (mainly anger, guilt).

Don't spend more than an hour a day on journaling or even thinking about pain or recovery. It's important to enjoy each day as much as you can.
    I find pleasant distractions helpful, such as music, reading (recreational, not medical), movies, tv, LAUGHING.

3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Welcome to the SEP mdh157! All the best with your journey of recovery. I too have not been given any specific diagnosis, and I know that my symptoms are TMS. I'm still on the journey to full healing, but the SEP was very helpful! I would highly recommend it. :)

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, all. Give the SEP a chance to heal you. It's a different TMS journey for different people.
    I think healing depends not on how much you hurt or how long you have been hurting,
    as it depends on how much you believe it is TMS. Then how hard and long you work on
    discovering ypour TMS repressed emotions and/or perfectionist or "goodist" personality.

Most TMS pain seems to come from relationships... past and present. The SEP helps us to
    discover what repressed emotions regarding these relationships were and try to understand
    them better. Journaling about these relationships helped me to understand them better,
    going back to my parents divorcing when I was seven years old.

Friends recently divorced and their young teenage son is showing signs of emotional stress.
    I know what that's like from my own "divorced child" life. It left me with a lot of insecurity.
    TMS and the SEP have helped me to better understand my parents and forgive them.
    Forgiving helped me to heal from severe back pain.

This is by way of encouraging everyone in pain to work on the SEP daily steps and
    keep telling yourself you're going to be free of all pain.