1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Self-diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Todd 64, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Todd 64

Todd 64 Newcomer

Howdy,

This might sound silly, but seeing as the closest TMS doctor is a few hours away from me, I'm wondering if there are any "pointers" for making somewhat of a "self-diagnosis." I believe it is TMS, but I can't say I do 100%. I'm needing a diagnosis to jump in fully. I do have a medical diagnosis from a surgeon (stenosis), but I don't believe that fully either because the pain does exhibit symptoms like the ones I've read about here.

I have an earlier post on here "Leg Pain" that explains a bit more about my situation. I just thought I'd throw this question out there as well.

Thank you happy people!

Todd

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/My_Victory_Over_Pain,_by_Baseball65 (My Victory Over Pain, by Baseball65)

That's my story cut and pasted from another page. You might identify with it as you have had a lot of the same diagnoses and run-around

I went and read your story and it was extraordinarily familiar.

I too had some needling demons going "You need to get diagnosed by a professional" but in '99 there was only one guy on the west coast (I was in LA) making that diagnosis and he was on a loooong vacation. I made an appointment anyways, and went ahead and did the work .
    By the time they called me for the reminder some months later, I was like "Oh... not necessary, 100% better".
    Stenosis doesn't cause pain... if it did, I would be in pain because, to the best of my knowledge, it's never gone away and I have been pain free for a long time...highly active construction worker, play baseball, wrestle my dogs, lift weights,etc... aged 54. zero restrictions.

I too had the double sciatica and their story (the systems') didn't maKE ANY SENSE AT ALL!!!

And, I did notice after a couple of years around their fairytale make-believe that lots of their story's just didn't add up...defied logic, physics and their own belief system, and that's what it is.... a belief system.

Sarno's observations were more honest, humble and most importantly, on close inspection ACCURATE. When I treated it like TMS and followed up on the suggestions, I got better....fast.

So... you have to make an educated speculation here... because ONLY you know YOU. To them you are a chart and a file and a problem....something to 'deal' with before lunch break. Oh, some of them seemed to care, and I tended to get better under the watch of those ones, but ultimately Sarno's description of personality, lifestyle, symptoms and the resolution of such made more sense.... even using THEIR idea's.

Having watched countless people get better with waaaay worse situations than I, I would hazard a guess that there are very, very FEW cases that are 'real'...whatever that means.

that dude with the diploma on the wall can't prove it to you... even the one who is allegedly TMS savvy. Ultimately it's between you and God. Quietly reviewing your experience in context of Sarno's literature... the WHOLE experience and you probably already know the answer.

peace

JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  3. Todd 64

Todd 64 Newcomer

Baseball65-

WOW! I read your story and it is practically my own. We're also the same age and lift weights, wrestle dogs and throw balls. So, again, WOW.

Thank you so much for replying to my thread, as well as documenting your story. We even write similarly.

All of this gives me a hefty boost of confidence that I'm on the right track.

Can't thank you enough man.

Peace.

T

Baseball65 likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I can't really add anything to all the good things that @Baseball65 said, except to assure you that the vast majority of us are self-diagnosed after years (or decades) of medical professionals telling us they can't really find anything wrong apart from stress or anxiety. Or guessing at conditions that don't make sense. Or making up diagnoses with words that just describe the symptoms.

When I discovered Dr Sarno in 2011, I was pretty desperate, but it turned out that I was also more than ready to open up my mind and try something completely different.

Baseball65 likes this.