1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 9 Self Criticism

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Laudisco, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Have you been overly critical of yourself lately? How and why have you done this?

I realised that I have become self-critical lately, as I caught a virus and found it hard to do anything at all. I really missed being able to complete my whole to-do list, as I was able to do that most days for about a month or two… but recently I had a relapse of the severe fatigue.

Another area where I become self-critical is when it comes to romantic relationships. I get into negative thinking patterns, like why would anyone want to date someone is is basically disabled? Who would want to date someone suffering depression and anxiety? I know those thoughts are toxic but it's hard not to honestly wonder sometimes. I also feel bad when I get attracted to the wrong people… who I know have poor character and would be a bad match for me in the long run.

I've realised that sometimes I start feeling guilty or condemned for my depression and anxiety, which actually feeds into it and prolongs the problem. I found talking to one of my friends who suffers from Cyclothymia quite helpful, as it normalised the experience of depression and helped me to feel less worried about it.

2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Laudisco,

Yes, it is easy to be self-critical, especially because we TMSers tend to be perfectionistic and have high expectations. Try to go a little easier on yourself if you can - I doubt anyone expects as much from you as you expect from yourself. Dr. Schubiner states that compassion for one's self is one of the keys to recovery. Thanks for your reminder to be gentle with ourselves. Take good care, Sunny

Laudisco likes this.
  3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks so much Sunny! I appreciate your kind words. :)

SunnyinFL likes this.