1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 9 Self Criticism

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by aziemski, Oct 26, 2014.

1. aziemski

aziemski New Member

I am self critical of myself all day long everyday and never knew it. I always thought i had good self esteem because i look after myself and feel generally confident and competent. But i recently started therapy to help me deal with my chronic pain and the emotional stress it causes me, and one of my assigments was to track self critical thoughts for a day. Turns out I'm my own worst enemy. I criticized myself about big things and small. Everything from forgetting an important meeting at work to missing my turn driving home. Didn't matter how insignificant it was i would still be just as harsh. For example, i went grocery shopping at lunch to save time and not have to do it after work. But i forgot to buy a handful of things that should have been on my list. i was so mad and frustrated with myself for this. how stupid i must be to forget about the soup ingredients! Now i have to waste more time going back to the store, i had ruined my efficient plan of getting it done at lunch etc. Etc.

Judith likes this.
  2. Judith

Judith New Member

The superego is always on. Good thing that you are starting to notice it. We don't have to listen to the superego.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I always make a list to take to the grocery store and often forget to look at it,
    so I wind up not getting everything I want. I don't get angry at myself,
    I just laugh.