1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 12 self criticism

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cuddlepants, Feb 1, 2017.

1. cuddlepants

cuddlepants New Member

I have always known that self critism is a personality trait of mine but I've never realised how extreme it was.
    I don't exagerate when I say that I question everything I do and say throughout the whole day. I have constant thoughts of ' why am I so strange' 'why can't I speak up' 'why can't I be like everyone else'.
    I also constantly second guess what people think of me with thoughts like ' they think I'm weird' 'their laughing at me' 'they don't like me'
    I also constantly feel like people are watching/judging everything I do and this makes the easiest of jobs so much harder.
    Although ive always known about my destructive personality I've never realised how extreme they were and how much pressure/strain/stress there putting on me.
    I hope with this realisation of this self critism I can begin to challenge it and start to find some self compassion.
    Thanks for listening, it feels good to admit it and start to understand it.
    I feel ready to move on from it.

2. If 6 was 9

If 6 was 9 Peer Supporter

Hi cuddlepants, I have similar issues, though as I get older (I'm 47 now) I think I'm gradually getting better at overcoming it. In other words, I care less about how I appear in other people's eyes. But I'm not completely over it, I still find myself comparing myself unfavourably to other people, for whatever reason...
    It's a strange thing in our modern society: we're continually looking up to and worshipping successful individuals and yet we also put pressure on ourselves to conform to the group and be like everyone else. I often wonder whether the people who do make a name for themselves as success stories or leaders or pioneers originally felt this strangeness, or perhaps still do.
    You're right about self compassion, I need to apply the same thing to myself. Thanks for sharing, and all the best.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, cuddlepants. I love your posting name! You know how to relieve your pain... you recognize that you need to change self-criticism into self-compassion. You might find some good ideas from watching YouTube videos. There are quite a few, such as "How to Stop Being Self-critical" and "Getting Over Self-criticism So You Can Get on with Life."