1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 9 Self-Critical

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by prisd, Feb 22, 2016.

1. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Am I being overly critical of myself lately: YES!

- I'm really nervous when publicly speaking, then I berate myself for feeling so nervous and worry about everyone noticing it.
    - I'm critical about the way I parent my daughter and worry about what other people think about the way I'm doing it. Did I give her too many compliments, did I give in too easily, did I let her watch too much TV... is that mother upset because I didn't stop my child from screaming?
    - I took too much time on the computer and now I don't have time for: reading, preparing dinner, talking to my husband, etc.
    - Why did I get so mad at my mother, husband? I shouldn't anger so easily.

Why am I doing this to myself?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi prisd,
    The first step in working with the Inner Critic is to observe the "attacks" it is subjecting you to, and to appreciate the suffering it is causing. So you ask a good question. I think it is powerful to understand what's going on, and see the silliness of it!

I always recommend the book "The Soul Without Shame" if you want to learn techniques of "disengaging" from those attacks.
    Andy B

3. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Great, Thanks! Yes, it takes some thinking just to even be aware of them.