1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 37 Self-care

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HPJM, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HPJM

HPJM New Member

Sometimes TMS/PPD treatment is simply about learning to treat oneself more kindly. Working on self-care skills can be an important way to do this. Once you graduate from this Structured Educational Program, what would you like to do to show yourself the care that you deserve? Is there any self care that you would like to do today?

I would love to do things for their own sake, maybe writing fiction for instance, maybe I will do that today. Unfortunately everything I do is filtered through a productivity lens, and I assess whether it is going to be useful. I am young and not currently fully employed, being still a student, and it sometimes troubles me that I'm almost working before I work. So I think I need to do things spontaneously, for their own sake, for the sake of happiness and relaxation. Even my mum points out I find it hard to relax.

SunnyinFL and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi again, HPJM. I think it is important to do things for their own sake, without thinking whether it is productive or not or that it is going to be useful.
    Do it for the sheer enjoyment. If you want to write fiction, my favorite author F. Scott Fitzgerald said it just requires putting the seat of one's pants down on a chair and writing. Of course, Thomas Wolf wrote standing up, in longhand, with paper on top a refrigerator.

I am a fulltime freelance writer of books. I have been that for 40 years, and have had many books published (see www.walteroleksybooks.com),
    but I do not recommend it today. I suggest write fiction in your spare time, nights and weekends, and get a steady job. Or continue as a student and write fiction when you have time.

Writing, to me, is what I need to do to justify my existence. It's as vital to me as breathing.

You may have trouble relaxing because you have a very active mind, as many or most writers have. And you may want to go in ten directions at the same time. Fitzgerald had advice on that, too. He said, "Do the next thing." That will lead to the next thing and so forth until you reach the thing you were meant to be. Don't try to rush through each next thing. Give it time to lead you into the next. I hope this makes sense.

Relaxing comes from deep breathing and telling your inner bully (your mind or conscience) to let you alone.

How do you get started writing fiction? What is your favorite genre (action, science fiction, mystery, etc.). Who are your favorite writers in that genre?
    Write something like they would, in their style. Make up some things to add to their story. Take their story in a new direction.

Good luck, writing or whatever you do to have fun and relax.

3. HPJM

HPJM New Member

That's impressive Walt, being published is very difficult. Out of interest, why do you not recommend writing full-time today?

Yep, my mind is very active and some days I keep changing my mind about what to do with my life or get distracted by new ideas. Still working on the rushing thing as well. Rushing is probably the opposite of relaxing. I've been reading lots of classics recently, and I have a handful of good ideas. Thanks for the tips.