1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 37 Self Care, Ideas??

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KevinB, Jan 1, 2016.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hello,

I'm approaching the end of the SEP (this is my second time doing it; both times have been equally transformative) and today is asking about self care. I feel like I've become better at making time for myself to relax. I'm fortunate in that I get lots of time off from work, so I often get alone time for just me... but I'd love to hear what others do for self care. I have a limited tool box for this. I generally will go to a movie, watch TV, or play with my cats, which are good and all, but I'd like to have more options. When not dealing with symptoms, I also like to go on long walks (unfortunately walking is my only remaining conditioned trigger, so still working on that) .

I live in NYC, so there are a TON of things to do, but like today's Question to Ponder mentioned, doing things strictly for the pleasure with no other motive is tricky. That is, I could go to a museum, for instance, but I'm not really too interested in art, so I feel like doing that would be motivated by obligation to take advantage of "all NY has to offer" and "take in Culture (capital C intended)"..... I've also been to the museums here, and all over Europe, and meh, just not really my thing.... many of the other "NY" things I cannot afford (plays, musicals, etc.), nor do they interest me much.

So what do y'all do for self care/fun?

Thanks for any ideas and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. intense50

intense50 Well known member

For me I love reading and going for walks.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, guys. I'm 85 so I am not as active as I used to be. I was in the army in Germany some years ago and saw most of Europe,
    and since then, lots of the US, some of Canada and Mexico. Since I've become a dog owner, I travel very little but love spending time with my dogs (I am with my third now and she is 14. My first two lived to be 16 and a half each.

I like discovering new things in Youtube on my computer. I look up any subject and there are almost always videos about it. History, nature, geography, science, concerts both classical and popular, biographies, etc. If I'm bored, I Youtube.