1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Self-Absorption and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Jan 14, 2016.

1. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

the left brain (the interpreter/ego) is set up from the beginning of our lives as a problem-solution MACHINE! it will inevitably seek pleasure and avoid pain. it's its nature. in doing so, we tend to leap into negative stories (unconsciously), and by the time it takes for that leap to occur (nanosecond), emotions of insecurity and fear have already arrived and our nervous systems kick in. i believe the simplicity in this - and every "problem", for that matter - is to establish a quick mental verbal switch (awareness) that catches the story before it unwinds into a habitual narrative, and reminds us that it is indeed ONLY a story in that moment about a future we can not know. ANYTHING is always possible in the next moment, so to focus on the infinite negative possibilities is not helpful even tho the left brain thinks it is just being prudent/cautious and protecting us. waking up to our human nature is a process that takes practice, more for some than others. the main thing i am learning is patience. i have made great strides in seeing my issues come and go and prove to myself every day that i am safe, i am on the right path, i don't need to monitor my body, it does much better when i leave it alone to do it's own remarkable things. i look at every recurrence of pain and discomfort as yet another opportunity to practice awareness, rather than a back step; something that is happening FOR me rather than TO me.

2. NNava

NNava New Member

Hi Huckleberry! I know this post is quite old but I came across it yesterday and even had to come back to it again today. I screenshot your words so I can read it again to remind myself that I am not alone. What is so amazing to me is my husband and I took our dogs for a walk and we're having one of those really good deep talks. I couldn't quite put into words how I feel so I used the analogy of jump roping with friends as a child. You know the game where two people hold the rope and you have to time it to jump in and continue holding the right pace. I feel like I've been anticipating the moment to jump in for years and now I've built that moment up so much I've just froze and feel like I will forever be waiting to jump into the moving wheel of life. What was so warming to me was I happened to stumble across your post the same night. To know that so many people feel the way I feel helps me to not feel unique if that makes sense. You took how I feel and put it into words so beautifully. "That golden moment." You nailed it! Thank you for your post and for sharing your humanity. You gave this human a really refreshing deep breath last night by making her not feel so alone.

TrustIt likes this.