1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Seeing a TMS doctor vs Skype Therapy

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by levfin003, Oct 26, 2015.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

CBT isn't the way to go if your therapist is not aligned to, or aware of TMS. You could end up taking 100 sessions and not feel any better.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Actually, the psychologist is aligned with my TMS belief. Its just that I am not connecting with her as much as I would like to.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

OK, if cold is triggering your TMS as a distraction from emotional issues, purchase what's called a "swim team parka" for about $50-70 from a swim store or over the internet :

http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/tyr-all...ce&RecentHistoricalItems&category_page.rr1for

I guarantee you you won't feel cold again. Armed in your mobile igloo you can then move on to facing the TMS creating life issues in warmth and style.

G'luck,
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    levfin003 likes this.
  4. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

I went home last night and reaffirmed my beliefs on TMS. I told myself that the reaction to the cold is conditioned response. Today I am significantly better.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I beleieve we dont need to dig so deep in repressed emotions or events that happened 20 yrs ago we need to deal with whats happeneing know i feel to many of us are getting lost in looking for this so called deep emotions and not dealing with the know....i believe that we have tms for life and that we need to deal with our current emotions . And deal with negetive thoughts that we have daily. Thats just my opionion

mike2014 likes this.
  6. mike2014

I agree with you completely, Now is hugely important, but for some it's about identifying the pattern of thinking which has led to developing TMS. Short term therapy is supposed to be great at identifying this. One method doesn't always fit all.

7. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

For me, its both, i.e. the rage from my past and fear/anxiety of my present. I have many scars from my abusive childhood. At the same time, bad parenting has made me an insecure person and I am constantly anxious about one thing or the other.

8. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Well recononize that and move on make peace with it...going back in the past and looking beyond right know its the recipe for our pains. Beleieve i am guilty of both but i realize that i need to deal with the me of know not the some one who was 20 yrs younger or 1 day older than me right know. Read Monte Huflte he makes the most sense for me

9. Bunneh

Bunneh Peer Supporter

I am currently reading "The Divided Mind" and Sarno emphasizes that the subconscious has no sense of time. So I wouldn't be so sure if it's mainly present stressors and emotions that we need to deal with.
    Yesterday, I talked with my therapist about my childhood, and today the eczema on the right eyelid came back with a vengance. I thought it was gone, since I hadn't had skin issues for over two months. Now I look as if someone punched me in the face. ;P

10. mike2014

I'd like to add, that since the unconconcious mind has no sense of time this also explains why it's impossible to put a time frame on healing.

Since each emotion has thousands of thoughts / stressors associated to them, I think it's important to look at the underlying emotion beneath the stressor. Since we are creatures of habit it's likely we will experience these emotions repeatedly over time. So it's more important to rewire the emotion, than just a thought in the now.

I believe the reason for your flare up is due to your unconconcious mind having no concept of time and not being able to establish whether you you were experiencing a real or pre conceived threat and whether it's from the past or now. This is also why I believe it's important to not journal about the same subject repeatedly, because it can awaken and strength the power of an emotion.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Bunneh, Tennis Tom and Simplicity like this.