1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing a TMS doctor vs Skype Therapy

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by levfin003, Oct 26, 2015.

1. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Its been an incredibly frustrating few days for me. As it is getting cold, by back is getting tighter. I was trying to see a TMS doctor. There is one physician in the London area, but my extremely highly bureaucratic insurance company is not letting me see that physician. I can see a different physician, but not the only one who specializes in MBS in this city.

I want to ask: Is there any significant difference in seeing a TMS physician vs a therapist on skype? I have worked with a therapist over skype and she has helped me a lot. I was hoping to go see a physician to see if there is anything added he can do.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I would say stick with the therapist on Skype since she has been so helpful. A doctor who does not know about or believe in TMS might be more harmful to you by recommending medication or surgery. Even if something structural is found, it may not cause pain. Pain is probably from TMS, repressed emotions or a perfectionist and goodist personality.

I visited London years ago and loved it. So much to do and see there. Hope you're enjoying it. Say hi to the queen for me. haha

levfin003 and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I see someone on Skype and IMO it is just as helpful as sitting in an office talking.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Levfin,

Did your conventional, non-TMS doc, find anything structurally wrong?

5. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Hi Tennis Tom - What exactly do you mean by structurally wrong? The conventional dr found mild disk herniation. I believe that disk herniation is regular wear and tear not cause pain.

6. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Will convey your message to her Walt, given you're always helpful.

I think Chicago is really nice too, although it is cold!!!!

7. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Levfin,

I hope you are well.

There are a few practioners in and around London.

http://www.sirpauk.com/find-a-practitioner/

Best

8. mike2014

Hi Levfin,

No real difference between seeing a TMS Dr face to face or by Skype, except it can be more comforting to hear the diagnosis face to face.

Going back to Tennis Toms point, if you've seen a Dr and they've ruled out any structural problems, you can rest assured it's TMS and going from one TMS Dr to the next is not going to add any value.

If you have doubt in the diagnosis, I'd suggest reading more success stories, books etc and keep an evidence sheet of your symptoms etc.

Best regards

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Thank you for your help!

Question is, how do you rule out anything structural? My MRI shows disk herniation, which I know does not cause pain. Besides that, what else do we need to rule out?

10. mike2014

The Dr should be able to advise there is nothing else wrong.

If you are looking solely at the back and the MRI shows disk herniation, Dr Sarno suggest there is no relationships between spine abnormalities and pain. People with or without herniations may have pain.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    levfin003 likes this.
  11. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Thank you for your help again. I believe that this episode of pain has almost sent me in a tailspin. I'll just continue working on my skype treatment.

12. mike2014

Great idea, I think most only need a few TMS sessions, 4 or 5 max. The real work is based on self reflection and change.

13. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

I've had a lot more than 4-5 sessions. I guess I am someone who needs constant reassurance. That's because of the fact that my father never provided me with security and confidence when I was a child. So, I seek it out in others. But that's ok.

14. mike2014

A TMS therapist will only give you the diagnosis, but I would suggest working with a qualified psychologist to uncover any deep rooted emotions. The sessions will be more insightful and productive.

15. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

I am working with a psychologist but am not quite connecting with her. She is doing CBT with me. Is there any specific kind of psychologist that is recommended for this?

16. mike2014

17. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Do you have any recommended ISTDP therapists, either in London or for Skype treatment.

18. mike2014

The second link is a directory of all qualified Professionals. There are two in London, Carisso and Diana.

I've not been in contact with either, but you may wish to call and discuss to see if either one suits.

19. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Mike answered my question nicely, thanks. If your standard issue white-coat didn't find anything wrong "structurally" meaning physical, anatomical, whatever you want to term a "real" injury versus TMS/psychosomatic, initiated by the mind and thrust onto the body, then you are good to go to pursue the TMS protocol--which is "JUST DO IT!"

Modern medicine with all it's imaging and lab work is REALLY good at DX'ing structural issues and even turning less then perfect body images into TMS dis-eases such as what the Good Doctor termed "grey hair of the spine" such as your mildly herniated disc. Most docs feel they have failed if they can't send you home a bit scared for your health since we are generally so healthy in our current species form due to all the great advances in science. Docs might not see us for years again, so it's like mommy dropping a minor nocebo, telling you to be careful crossing the street to put a little fear of the devil in you.

Modern medicine is defensive medicine, docs are scared to death to miss anything, therefore over-test not to be sued for malpractice having their insurance rates go up. Docs don't feel they are doing their job unless they hand us a little piece of paper with an RX as a little gift. Maybe a little script for Xanax for the kiddies to borrow from the med-cabinet for some lunch time show and tell.

If you persist in getting additional exams, they WILL eventually find something wrong to hang your hat or brace on, and join up with the choir of pain. Find a TMS therapist by phone or skype if you can't find one near you, otherwise you are teaching a non-TMS shrink and they should be paying you for your time. There's a list of them here at the home page's side bar of practitioners.

20. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

I am working with a therapist via skype sessions, and my life has become significantly better. On normal days, I feel 85-90% recovered. However, I do get constant relapses like the one this cold weather has brought about. And these relapses are powerful enough to take me back to the dark alleys of despair.

Other than the skype therapist, I am also working on CBT with a psychologist. However, I am just not connecting with her that well, so maybe I need to consider ISTDP.