1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Seeing a Chiropractor that specializes in nueropathy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Looking for space, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Looking for space

Looking for space Peer Supporter

Hi,
    I have had a small fiber nueropathy for over 10 years. Today I'm going to a Chiropractor, who will examine me and tell me how much feeling I've lost, it's 49 USD for the visit.... but, something feels fishy. I know this is non diabetic, it's not traveling anywhere, so, it may be idiopathic, or TMS. What is the opinion of those who have had a SFN....?
    I really feel it's tms...also have planters faciitus. Any opinions would helpful ,I hope. I know they use a type of red light therapy, and I have my doubts.

2. crashkahuna

crashkahuna New Member

I am watching this thread since I have same issue. First I have changed my diet to more Keto approach since I have loved the carbs a bit too much. Also boosting B vitamins since I am deficient there. And most important I think (and hope) is looking at this as a neuroplastic problem ie TMS. I will report back on how it goes. Good luck!

Looking for space likes this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you considered contacting a TMS doctor and asking their opinion?

miffybunny likes this.
  4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It's TMS and a chiropractor won't help you, other than perhaps a placebo effect. Don't waste your time or money. Check with a TMS dr., as @Cactusflower suggested. Then go inward.

5. Looking for space

Not yet, there aren't in Vermont

6. Looking for space

Thanks @miffybunny , I'm not doing it, they want my money..it's a non diabetic nueropathy. Without insurance 6,000 USD$, after insurance over 5 grand...unfortunately there aren't any TMS Drs in VT.
    There are dietary changes I could make.. but, I'm certainly not giving a Chiropractor 6,000!
    @miffybunny I couldn't agree with you more! I suppose I could do a zoom call with a Dr. Close enough to me...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  7. miffybunny

Yes you can email Dr. Schubiner. I think he is your best in your particular case.

8. Looking for space

I've Done it.

miffybunny likes this.
  9. DWA

DWA Peer Supporter

You and I have the same issues. I got diagnosed with Idiopathic PN about 12 years ago. Progression is very slow and steady. It has not responded to any treatment including TMS Doctor/therapy. I also looked into Chiropractic Neurologist several years ago. I got the same uneasy feeling after a consultation and did more research. 100% this is a scam. Run, don't walk away from this form of "treatment". FYI, there is a good FB site for PN sufferers with over 20K members. Search under "PN Success Stories". There is a lot of info on this site. As for the Plantar Faciitis, this is not TMS either. I've had a few times over the years and comes from improper footware and repeated pounding on the foot bottom. Only affects one foot typically. Recovery is slow, but proper footware, night splint and especially a vibrating messager with special tip that can dig into the areas of inflammation will accelerate the healing process. My foot is 90% better with everyday treatment after about 3 months...

10. Looking for space

Thank you DWA for your insight! I'm doing Howard Shubinars book Unlearn Your Pain. And there are a couple of TMS Dr's I can call
    Plantars faciitus most Likley as you say , is not TMS, I may look into this FB group you mentioned. Appreciate the comment!

11. Looking for space

I got a reply from Howard S, and he is not doing Tele calls. But he gave me a couple of names.
    Then he just messaged and said "keep up the good work you'll get better" I was aNOT impressed!

12. miffybunny

It sounds like you may have been disappointed in his brevity but I can assure you, his response is good news! It means HE was not impressed with your case, and that's a really positive thing. It means he was not concerned. Dr. Schubiner answers scads of emails and really does go above and beyond compared to any physician I've ever encountered. He's also one of the most caring. I say all this, not to "defend" Dr. Schubiner but to reassure you that you have TMS.

TG957 and Looking for space like this.
  13. Looking for space

I suppose actually that is good news @miffybunny ,yes his brevity had me concerned! Lol! But you seem to know what you're talking about. I'm glad he contacted me .I have his book as well..

miffybunny likes this.
  14. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I can attest that Dr. Schubiner is one of the most knowledgeable, responsive and caring TMS doctors out there. Completely agree with @miffybunny .

15. Looking for space

My neuropathy seems to be a bit worse and I'm wondering if it could be caused my a gluten sensitivity, which a Naturopath diagnosed me with in 2012? I'm leaning toward TMS. But, just putting this out here for feedback. I might add my primary Dr said that gluten sensitivity is not real. Only celiac..

16. DWA

DWA Peer Supporter

Your neuropathy is getting worse because it is a progressive disease. It doesn't matter what it's caused by, there is no cure. I can assure you it's not caused by gluten sensitivity or TMS. I understand your thought process, I chased the cause of my PN for over a decade, thinking if I could find the reason, I could fix the problem. I wasted untold amounts of time and money in this process. My advice would be to find the most comfortable pair of shoes you can (assuming your PN affects your feet) and go about the business of living your life. The more you ruminate on your Neuropathy the more you train your brain to obsess about the symptoms. Accept that you have PN and that it will never get better, stop thinking about it and trying to fix it!

17. miffybunny

PN is a symptom which has become a trendy diagnostic label. It’s not a disease pathology in and of itself. In this case, it’s brain based and therefore completely reversible. Don’t listen to the nay sayers and allow doubt to trick you. The gluten thing is irrelevant nonsense and there’s no causality to your present symptoms. It’s all tms. Period. Accept the tms diagnosis or stay on an endless hamster wheel of doubt. The choice is yours.

18. Looking for space

Thank you so much for this @miffybunny, I am glad I posted again. I am thinking about it alot. Lots of stress in my personal life but, I'm sure that it's TMS, others on this forum have overcome Nueropathy. I don't want to accept that's it's a progressive disease..I have Dr. Shubiner's book unlearn your pain, I may call a TMS dr.. thanks so much for this, I don't want to chase things..anymore..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    miffybunny likes this.