1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Second time around

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by HankC, May 19, 2020.

1. HankC

HankC New Member

About 5 years ago I had severe back pain that made it impossible to run. I learned the techniques, and I ran through the pain. After about a month the pain stopped and I've been pain free since.

But I recently had a bad hamstring pull. I rested a week and tried to run yesterday, but the pain was back. What was interesting is that there were indications that this was TMS pain. Example, I was wearing a thigh sleeve to prevent the pain. After the pain came I took the sleeve off and just ran through it and the pain decreased. Crutches like a sleeve can do more harm than good, I know.

I assume hamstring injuries can be TMS? I mean it is muscle. Can it just be a real injury?

My main question though is if I treat it by just running through will it likely take as long as the first time (a month), or does the brain get right quicker once you've already been through it?

2. HankC

HankC New Member

Seruously need answer soon.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi HankC,

I have a few thoughts. First, if you just pulled the hamstring, it probably cannot hurt to rest it, treat it like an injury for whatever time is normal for that injury. Maybe a week is enough, but I don't know...

We've had folks here "push through" with activity which was real injury, such as shin splints, and they felt they did the wrong thing as the condition was real, and it worsened.

I get that this makes you think TMS, but it might be too early to know.

Oversupport like crutches, for longer than needed, just to avoid a little pain ---yes. This might lead to reenforcing the pain as TMS type. But I am not a "physio." Not sure on the standard protocols for what you think you have.

If you decide it is TMS, slowly increasing activity might be the way to go. You might find it is easier to shake this time around, if it is TMS, but it might also mean you deeper work, more psychological inquiry. Not sure how much of that you did before... Often when TMS symptoms return, sometimes in a different place, it means it is time to dig deeper. Patience and confidence is key!

I will observe that you seem fearful about this, and you want it to get better quick. Obviously you don't want it to go "TMS" on you. But I suggest you try to relax and let things heal, including your need for your previous activity levels, on demand.

Andy