1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Second/ new appearance of TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Rotanzania, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Rotanzania

Rotanzania New Member

Hi, I was a regular on this site 3 years ago when I had chronic back pain that sorted so quickly once I accepted I had TMS. For no apparent reason ( life seemingly relatively ok, I thought), I started getting severe stomach pain 3 months ago. Doctors see I have severe red stomach from an endoscopy, but pills don't help. I'm starting to wonder if it could be TMS again? Is it possible, even if there is evidence of a medical issue? I'm waiting for results of a CT scan, which can take weeks apparently, so I'm going after TMS in the meantime, but it isn't seeming to have the same impact as last time.
    I'm now getting stressed thinking I can't get my head round it like I did last time, and also feeling frustrated that I may have TMS again, when I thought life had settled down and I'd dealt with so much STUFF already.
    I have a nagging doubt as 30 years ago when I had stomach ulcers, the meds worked in 2 weeks... Any advice ?
    Thanks!

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

MindBody stuff can show up as virtually anything. Just because there is a visible pathology does NOT exclude psychosomatic origin. You seem to be going about this right... seeing the doc but looking for the psychological reasons behind it. The most common 'conversion' symptoms Sarno pointed out were gastrointestinal and Skin stuff. People with scoriasis have a Visible documentable 'physical' condition but it is also well understood that anxiety exacerbates or even creates it!

My Father chased his 'ulcers' his whole life. They didn't have scopes and scans then but I am sure they might have found something if they did. See Sarno's 'Where have all the ulcers gone?" story in HBP>

peace

Free of Fear likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome. All our lives we are asked to know more and feel more. This is just the way it is. You have not made any mistakes, or done things poorly. Yet, to feel and know more is the work of the brave. It makes us more beautiful inside, and our beauty is a gift to others. Good luck in this!

Free of Fear likes this.
  4. Rotanzania

Rotanzania New Member

Thanks for your comments. So hard to find anyone who understands what I’m talking about around me, and the comment of ‘so its in your head’ is something I find really hard to hear.
    I appreciate your input and am working on telling myself the pain is not harmful and I can feel safe, and not fear it.
    As a single mum with 4 kids it has hit me that since my marriage fell apart, and I’ve been fighting to keep it together for my kids ( 10 years) I don’t feel SAFE! ( realised this working through the pain recovery program).
    Everyone around me keeps telling me I’m so strong and calm and underneath I’m paddling madly just to stay afloat. Slightly alarming revelations!!
    Interesting to note that since it hit me ( yesterday!) that I don’t feel safe, the pain has reduced?!

5. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

This. So much this. It's as bad as laundry, really.

Rainstorm B likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the work of the brave!