1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Seborrheic dermatitis - skin issue TMS approach?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by zeeman01, Jun 2, 2021.

1. zeeman01

zeeman01 Peer Supporter

I seem to have a very mild case of seborrheic dermatitis (dry flakes around my nose constantly). This came on when with the stress of potentially not having work or having to possibly change jobs. I was wondering if anyone had any luck treating this with the TMS approach?

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I just got diagnosed with this by my dermatologist today. It came about after a very stressful situation that lasted months, which is stupid because I ended up getting everything I wanted and even more. All that for nothing… lesson learned.

I’ll of course use the prescribed creams, but I’m going to take a gamble and project that the majority - perhaps 75% to 80% - of this is TMS in my case. And I’m the nerd whose Excel documents, formulas, and linked projections are typically spot on. ;)

3. Ann Miller

Ann Miller Well known member

Whenever I have a TMS client present with a new suspicious symptom, I have them google "diagnoses and stress" and see what it says. The info is out there. We just have to wade through and find it. In your case, It looks like there have been studies done on seborrheic dermatitis and the role stress play in exasperating it. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18033062/ ([Stress and seborrheic dermatitis] - PubMed)
    Now you know. Exasperating but awareness is everything.

Dorado likes this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Brilliant!

Ann Miller likes this.
  5. Amina.84

Amina.84 Peer Supporter

Any update? I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and eyebrows. Is it TMS? Thanks you

6. zeeman01

zeeman01 Peer Supporter

I have not had luck trying to simply treat this as TMS. I do think over thinking about it and over treating it can make it worse. What's generally worked for me is managing it with limiting my sugar intake somewhat. I have also found 2 things that have been amazing for me. MTC Oil- I get flakes on the side of my nose a bit and I use that on it. I used to use it twice a day to keep the flakes from appearing and now I only need to use it like every other day. Also when I get redness I have found 3 hours of raw honey for 2 or 3 days in a row gets rid of it. I will usually do a raw honey "mask" once a week for maintenance. Probably not what you wanted to hear but there are lots of people who have been able to manage this with simple changes such as diet and topical stuff. Other people have reported good results with using a dead sea salt wash or applying diluted apple cider vinegar. Those seems very harsh to me so I did not try them. From a TMS perspective there was a trick that also helped. I don't look very closely at my skin in bright light as this exposes every small imperfection and makes me focus on it more. So that's a TMS type tip that helped me for sure. Best of luck!

7. map76

map76 Peer Supporter

I have pretty severe skin flaking on my face and scalp. I do think is a TMS equivalent. If I’m not fixated on my pain, I’m obsessing about my appearance.

8. Lotus

Lotus New Member

Wow, this is totally me. Makes me feel like I’m not alone. I’m under a lot stress so I’m guessing that’s what’s causing it and it definitely serves as a distraction so that’s probably part of why it’s not going away. I also have dermatillomania which fits into this skin condition and TMS. I also wondered if it helps to keep people away and I like that because I don’t want to get abused again.

JanAtheCPA likes this.