1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Sciatica

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Markd, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Markd

Markd New Member

Hi

I will be honest I started two days ago but am getting to terms with it all as part of me is confused still. But I want to rid myself of this stress I feel and what I must have deep within also and get my life back.

A life without TMS for me will mean that I can work again, enjoy my two wonderful kids again and above all repair my relationship with my wife once and for all.

I want to live again without fear and smile again and enjoy the simple things.

I hope and pray I'm on the right path

All the best
    Mark

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Hello Mark and welcome to the forum. I too have sciatica as one of my TMS symptoms, along with lots of others.

Anyway, I think it is normal for many of us to need some time to become oriented to this program and it can be confusing. I remember having days of feeling very clear about this and then suddenly having a day of fear and uncertainty. Whenever that happens I go back to the "basics" of Dr. Sarno's treatment plan and just keep at it. Progress is not a straight line for all of us so it helps to be prepared for that and to remember to keep things in perspective: Just because I might have an "off" day today doesn't mean that I'm not a whole lot better off than a month ago.

How lucky that this treatment approach is so low risk! There is everything to gain, as you said.

So good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  3. Markd

Markd New Member

Hi thanks for the reply. As I'm off work I have a lot of time on my hands. I've been using the recovery program today. Is it wrong to flood myself with the information. Do people skip ahead and two two days at a time? I actually do feel better that I find both amazing and confusing. I work in IT and a bit like Dr Spock part of me says not logical. I am however embracing that my back is not as bad as what the doctor had me fear. I'm recognising my triggers or conditioning like sitting and am working on the evidence. I'm so glad I found you all but early days. Much love. Mark

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Ahhh, IT! I spent 35 years there, so I hear you. It is interesting to discover that logic is only one way in which the brain works. You're using all kinds of other programs in your brain all the time and they are not the logic circuits. For example, the ability to recognize the face of someone you know - that's a different set of functions from logic. Since emotions are hard-wired into our systems it should come as no surprise that they directly effect the physical processes of our bodies but it does come as a surprise. We here in the West and our western medicine think of the mind and body as separate but in fact it is one integrated system.

Enough with the lecture, already. Regarding your question on how much work is too much, I say do what feels right for you. For myself there were days I spent a lot of time on this subject but other days I just had to give it a break. There is such a thing as too much though and some of the members of this forum with much more experience than I might be able to comment.

My caution would be to remember first and foremost to read Dr. Sarno's books and follow his treatment plan. Then use this forum as needed to supplement that.

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  5. JoshG

JoshG New Member

Hi mark,
    I sciatica too. for me some days are just better than others. I'm not 100% pain free yet,
    a lot of other areas of my are much better. I can drive and sit more than a couple months ago.
    and I can say all around I'm a much happier person.
    and if any pain does come up I know its just tms.