1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sciatica pain and meditation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by pain78, Jul 22, 2018.

1. pain78

pain78 Newcomer

Hi guys,

as mentioned in a previous post this week, I'm currently suffering from a quite severe sciatica that prevents me from sleeping at night.
    Yesterday, I came across this video on TEDx: A Different Approach To Pain Management. Although I'm familiar with Mindfulness meditation, I'm not practicing regularly enough. I have some apps on my phone, but I'm not good at keeping a daily practice.
    Long story short, I thought, let's practice again, maybe it'll help. I was so amazed how I was able to reduce my pain significantly (essentially in my right buttock that hurts so much) in such a short period of time. I did wake up twice last night, but I was able to get back to sleep after a session of meditation like no pain killer could give me such a relief in such a short period of time. It's not a cure, no miracle here like I didn't wake up this morning pain free (as a matter of fact the pain woke me up for the third time), but I was able to manage and get some sleep.
    I thought it might be useful to some of you having this condition.
    P.S.: TEDx video's ending is a bit disappointing with the story of this boy accepting the fact he's going to be in pain for the rest of his life. Maybe the presenter and this guy should find out about TMS ;).