1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sciatic pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Legsley, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Legsley

Legsley Newcomer

Last year i went through a stressful period and i suffered burning skin sendations on my left shin, tops of feet and hands. I had an mri and nerve tests and was told there was nothing sinister.
    The mri showed a L5/S1 disc herniation.
    Without knowing about tms i began ignoring the pains as i knew it wasnt serious and they disappeared.
    Ive been suffering anxiety again and now i have very bad sciatica. Ive had physio, chiro, needling etc but nothing is working. The neurologist suggested surgery but i am sure it is tms again.
    I am in so much pain that i am finding it hard at times to switch off from it. Anyone got advice or reassurance for me?
    Thanks

2. srton

srton Well known member

I know. My pain is currently manifesting itself as sciatia. It hurts and the pain can take your breath away. The tingling and numbness is frighting.
    My only advice is to breathe through the episodes. Take your mind away from the pain and straight to your feelings. Instead of "holy cow this hurts" think "holy cow i am mad/scared/angry." A mantra that is helpful to me is "I have a bottomless well of feelings and they are all valid"
    I'm sorry this is happening to you but I have faith that we can all get to the bottom of our pain and emerge on the other side healthier and more in touch with the reality of our feelings.

3. Legsley

Legsley Newcomer

Thanks for advice! Yeah its horrible. My leg goes all pins and needles and often goes tight around knee etc.
    Im travelling to go on holiday and when we stopped for lunch i was the best i have been in ages because i was happy and more relaxed.
    Dr gave me cocodamol and cbt counsellor said to take it to give myself a break because the pain is real although not physical injury. As you say i have been trying to breathe through the pain and reassure myself that its not forever.x