1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Scary new symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JacketSpud, Dec 1, 2015.

1. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

my tongue has started having weird sensations! Like someone is squashing it. I just moved and don't yet have a new doctor or dentist but will get it checked when I do. I was just wondering if anyone else has had such a symptom as a part of their TMS. I'm also experiencing more facial pain that normal.

Also, despite having a diagnosis of occipital neuralgia for over a year and a half, I never actually received an MRI or anything. Neurologist said their was no evidence I needed one. Is a neurologists office test really enough to rule out a serious problem? Despite success using The SEP, I think I have doubts creeping in due to lack of MRI results.

I should also point out that I have health anxiety. The tongue symptom started a couple days ago. Yesterday I also found out my mother has uterine cancer. We are not close, and I believe she is the cause of much of my internal rage, but this came out of the blue and has kind of knocked me. I do not think this news cause the tongue / face issues as they preceded the news, but my anxiety levels were already really high.

I'm no longer even sure what I'm asking here. I guess I'm a mess and I need some reassurance.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, jacketSpud. Something recent often triggers a past emotion that brings pain on or back again. Your mother's cancer may be a major problem for you, giving you anxiety or stress, especially since you say you are not close to her. You may be feeling some guilt because of that and it is making you angry.

I would believe the neurologist that you do not need an MRI. I think your tongue and facial sensations are from TMS. For anxiety, which we all have to some degree or another, practice deep breathing. It is very calming. I also like alternate-nostril breathing, another form of yoga practice. Youtube videos show how to do deep breathing and alternate-nostril breathing. I especially like the ones that are Guided Meditation in both of those breathing techniques.

3. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt. Excellent advice as always.

4. jtperks

jtperks Peer Supporter

I've had a sore tongue for 10 months. It comes in waves, but it's pretty much always there. It's gotten a little better over that duration. I also have health anxiety if that helps.

JacketSpud likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi JacketSpud,

I have heard others on this forum describe "strange tongue" before, which is perhaps similar. I don't know the correct name for the condition to help you find it in the archives. You might start a thread with a title like that to get folks' attention who have had it, or similar symptoms.

I think it is great that you tie this to the recent news about your mom. That can be re-assuring. I am sorry about your mother's situation.

Andy B.

JacketSpud likes this.
  6. Bunneh

Bunneh Peer Supporter

Hi,

I also suffer(ed) from health anxiety. When anxiety was at its peak, I experiened tongue twitches which I interpreted as early signs of ALS. I got it checked by a neurologist, but one cannot possibly imagine the amount of fear that came over me that time. One day I told myself: Hell! If I am going to die in two years, so be it. I stopped giving it attention and it went away. So yeah, weird tongue sensations are probably TMS. Stay strong! :)

JacketSpud likes this.