1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lauren.R89, Jul 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lauren.R89

Lauren.R89 Peer Supporter

I've seen a lot of people be scared of pain because of fear that it's causing some sort of structural issue or worsening a condition. Has anyone dealt with fear of the pain just because it feels bad and throws you into a mental spiral? That's the space I'm in. I know it's TMS. I understand that in time, it will lessen. But the uncertainty of when and it's ability to make me obsess or go into despair/frustration keeps me scared of the pain.

Also I'm setting a record for the amount I've posted in one week. Which I think is twice but still :) lol

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, it's normal to fear pain and other horrid sensations. The key is to learn how to "be" or "co exist" or engage with the symptoms/sensations in a less fearful way. So if you can just be with them with a bit of fear, but you are still doing things to gain confidence, rather than having them scare the crap out of you...that is already a lot of progress! The more you challenge yourself to do things you are fearful of, the more you overcome those fears and less in danger you feel. The more confidence you build, the more momentum builds on that. Less fear, more confidence is the goal and it's a gradual process. The goal is not to have less symptoms, the goal is to not FEAR those symptoms. The more indifferent you come to them, the less power they have and the less your brain's danger signals get activated. A good exercise for this is somatic tracking where you observe the sensations in a detached way. It's a mindfulness practice basically that neutralizes the fear. Personally, I found that the less I cared and the more I engaged with life, the less of a grip fear and symptoms had over me. You can also use affirmations like "I'm healthy and strong", "I see you. I know you are just TMS", "I'm in charge" etc. etc.

Kati likes this.
  3. Lauren.R89

Reading your response now but thanks for responding to so much of my anxious posting this week!:) Lol

miffybunny likes this.
  4. Lauren.R89

This is so helpful. Thank you! I knew some of this but I can't tell you how helpful it is to have someone say it to you when your mind is in that anxious spiral. I truly appreciate it.

miffybunny likes this.
  5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

You're welcome! Yes I totally get it! Sometimes you just need a reminder of what you already know lol!

Lauren.R89 likes this.
  6. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

@Lauren.R89

You are not alone in this. I KNOW 100% my pelvic pains are not an infection or cancer or whatever the heck. I know it is either purely TMS or tight muscles as a result of TMS personality. Either way, reversable and curable right... but still, above a certain threshold I almost always spiral with fear and worry and whatnot. It's like I just can't stand the pain even in the moment and am trying to run away from it. I know that does not help, and can make it worse but... just "being" with the pain and not trying to do anything about it and not becoming afraid is super duper hard.