1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Scared of my TMS list!!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Maria, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Maria

Maria New Member

Ok day 3 and things are getting scary! The programme said to write 2 or 3 things down on my list but I got 8 down without even taking a breath and had to stop myself there! I have had some really major traumas to deal with in my life, particularly from my childhood so I am naturally concerned if I will be able to work through this programme on my own without some sort of professional to help me deal with the issues that arise? Are there any signs that maybe you should seek additional professional counselling?

I obviously don't know what to expect going forward as I am only on day 3 and so I don't know what tools are available in this programme to help deal with with stuff that comes up so it would be good to hear from anyone else who had similar concerns?

Maria

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Keep adding and keep adding to the list. Some one else will have to give you an answer to your question. If I remember correctly seeing a professional will be suggested if you think you need it. You will be given tools to help you along the way plus support from others on the wiki.

You can see how you have been holding all these painful memories in your unconscious mind and in your body. You will learn so much about yourself.

There is a list of TMS practitioners on this wiki. See if you have one in your area.

3. Maria

Maria New Member

Thanks Stella. I have checked and sadly the nearest practitioner is a couple of hours away and sadly my ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome makes it difficult for me to trek very far :(. I will however keep going and see how I get on with Wiki! :rolleyes:

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Maria - You may be able to see someone via Skype. We have a list of practitioners who see clients remotely at http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist#Via_Internet_or_Telephone

As to your other question, I agree with Stella. If you feel like you need to work with a therapist to process your emotions, then go ahead and do it. You are the best guide for yourself. Yes, some people recover without seeing a practitioner, but a lot of other people have found it to be immensely helpful.

5. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Hi Maria
    Try not to focus too much on the list itself, it can get overwhelming very quickly. I think we have a tendency to look at lists as a glaring reminder of daunting tasks required accomplishment to reach a "finish line". Such is not the case with your TMS lists. They're just guides for you personally. You're making them simply to give you an idea of what might be contributing to your physical pain, as starting point so to speak. Try not to view them as a comprehensive list of everything that is contributing to the pain and "must" be tackled to heal. Take them out to add to them when the SEP instructions say to, or to choose an item from when a journaling activity points you in that direction, otherwise, keep them safely tucked out of your sight (and out of your mental focus as best you can).

Also it might be helpful for you to know that you are completely in control of those lists at all times, even when the instructions direct you to them for a topic, YOU are the one that chooses the item so if you're not feeling up to thinking about a particular event on any given day you don't have to. You set the pace, and I would strongly encourage you to go slowly. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself, that's likely how you got the TMS to begin with! Take your time, approach the topics you are least fearful of first and don't dig too fast. We're all here for you so if you have a question, a concern, or just want a reminder that you're not alone (because you definitely are not) all you have to do is post it out there and you'll receive all the support you can absorb!