1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Scalp/Hair Follicle Pain???

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AutumnIsMyFave, Oct 12, 2017.

1. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

Hi All,

My body/brain certainly like to keep me on my toes! Just when I think there could not be any new bizarre pain or symptoms, I get thrown a new one!

Is there anyone out there in the TMS world who has dealt with scalp pain/hair follicle pain? In the past I have dealt with it a little from time to time, but it always went away quickly and I assumed it was from wearing a ponytail, or from my hair being too heavy (I have really thick hair). This time though, it is hurting for absolutely no reason and has been quite persistent for a while. I am trying not to panic about a new symptom setting in and am trying to think psychologically. There is nothing that I can see in any of my Sarno books and this does seem like a very odd symptom.

If anyone has had success in overcoming this strange symptom, I would love to hear about it! These success stories are so powerful in helping me on my TMS journey!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

All I can say after six years on this forum is that our brains seem to have an infinite capacity for creating custom-made symptoms that are guaranteed to have never been described by anyone ever before. That's the whole point of the TMS mechanism, after all - it's designed to keep you on your toes, and watching out for danger.

Dorado and Gigalos like this.
  3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Sensitive skin is a TMS symptom, I believe you have plenty on your scalp :)
    If you have any doubts, simply see your doctor to rule out anything serious (I can't think of anything other than chemo treatment that can cause a painful scalp) and keep walking the TMS path.

4. Ines

Ines Well known member

Have you recently dyed your hair? I know you said a while but sometimes it really dries your scalp and maybe that set it off.

5. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

Thank you all for your responses, it is appreciated! The usual symptoms are much easier to attribute to TMS. It's the ones off's like this one that make it trickier for me to know if there is something to investigate or if it again is just good old TMS.

6. Elizabethtara26

Elizabethtara26 New Member

I have this one now... grrr what happened to your scalp .
    My body/brain certainly like to keep me on my toes! Just when I think there could not be any new bizarre pain or symptoms, I get thrown a new one!

Is there anyone out there in the TMS world who has dealt with scalp pain/hair follicle pain? In the past I have dealt with it a little from time to time, but it always went away quickly and I assumed it was from wearing a ponytail, or from my hair being too heavy (I have really thick hair). This time though, it is hurting for absolutely no reason and has been quite persistent for a while. I am trying not to panic about a new symptom setting in and am trying to think psychologically. There is nothing that I can see in any of my Sarno books and this does seem like a very odd symptom.

If anyone has had success in overcoming this strange symptom, I would love to hear about it! These success stories are so powerful in helping me on my TMS journey!

Thank you for taking the time to read this![/QUOTE]

7. Latitudes9

Latitudes9 New Member

8. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno’s books do not identify all mind-body/TMS symptoms; he himself said there are so many symptoms, he wouldn’t have time to write about them all.

I have experienced a burning scalp due to the mind-body connection. It is possible and, as mentioned previously in this thread in 2017, sensitive skin is a common mind-body symptom. Don’t let the location of the sensitivity fool you. I do always tell members to consult with a trusted medical professional as I am not one nor can I observe you, but know that some people have dealt with and overcome it.

9. Elizabethtara26

Thankyou ..but how to talk with scalp ;) go away ..you're a healthy scalp ?

10. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

When it comes to mind-body/TMS healing, it all boils down to the overall management of your mental health and daily emotions, with the understanding that it's perfectly healthy to have bad days. It's less about the scalp and more about what relaxes your sympathetic nervous system, helps you adhere to boundaries you set, makes you interested in hobbies again, etc. Focusing on just the scalp misses out on these critical lessons, and that's unfortunately a mistake I see all the time on these forums.

Mind-body/TMS symptoms are simply the result of continuous fight-or-flight mode from heightened emotions. This is why I don't really like using the acronym "TMS" - it sounds like a separate syndrome when it's actually a process all human beings experience at some point in our lives. Once you're in a place where you're managing those emotions and working toward living a life you enjoy, you won't need to worry about individual sensations like your scalp burning today or your feet doing something else tomorrow, etc.

If it is indeed caused by the mind-body connection/TMS, then the scalp is only a sign that you need to work on these things.

11. Elizabethtara26

Wow !! This reply really HELPED ME I THANKU SO MUCH! I also agree and will definitely focus on other things:) thankyou...

QUOTE="Dorado, post: 121461, member: 5791"]When it comes to mind-body/TMS healing, it all boils down to the over
    all management of your mental health and daily emotions, with the understanding that it's perfectly healthy to have bad days. It's less about the scalp and more about what relaxes your sympathetic nervous system, helps you adhere to boundaries you set, makes you interested in hobbies again, etc. Focusing on just the scalp misses out on these critical lessons, and that's unfortunately a mistake I see all the time on these forums.

Mind-body/TMS symptoms are simply the result of continuous fight-or-flight mode from heightened emotions. This is why I don't really like using the acronym "TMS" - it sounds like a separate syndrome when it's actually a process all human beings experience at some point in our lives. Once you're in a place where you're managing those emotions and working toward living a life you enjoy, you won't need to worry about individual sensations like your scalp burning today or your feet doing something else tomorrow, etc.

If it is indeed caused by the mind-body connection/TMS, then the scalp is only a sign that you need to work on these things.[/QUOTE]

Dorado likes this.