1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Saw Dr. Angelov in MA today

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marytabby, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

I had an appointment today with Dr. Angelov in Swampscott, MA today for a 10 month excruciating knee issue. For anyone in the Boston or MA/NH area I would highly recommend him.
    I have seen Dr. Martinez in Dedham for many issues that have cropped up over the past 10 years that feel like possible TMS and every time I go to him he would like to be able to help me with TMS but is always a little unsure if that is what he is dealing with. So, nice guy but not much TMS help.
    I had a Skype session with Dr. Sopher last July and I found his style to be very unhelpful (sorry, doc!). His approach is a bit dismissive and sorry, folks, but I need explanations to build my confidence and basically the session with Sopher was him saying "it's TMS get on with it" and then in the follow up emails I sent he did not answer my nervous questions but more replied again along the same lines of "stop asking questions, it's TMS." Right or wrong, maybe this approach works for some people but the way I learn about a very tricky and stubborn process like TMS is if someone explains it to me and tells me the hows and why's because those are very much part of my understanding, confidence and acceptance. I am a "show me" learner. Today's visit with Dr. Angelov was awesome. He spent a really good chunk of time with me (50 mins) and looked at my knee MRI film and also read the written report. He showed me on the MRI films that my Cartilage is mildly worn but that the level of pain I have really doesn't support a Cartilage wearing diagnosis, which is what my knee doctor told me it was and two shots (cortisone and Synvic) into the knee did nothing. Today's visit felt like a caring TMS doc actually spent some time with me and reassured me, which gave me the confidence to walk out with my head high so that I can continue working on this and not feel incomplete or like a pain in the butt just because I have the need for some reassurance. Also, having a doctor see me in person is a much better way for me to accept, but also he must be caring and compassionate which doctor Angelov is, and he accepts my Harvard Pilgrim insurance so all I had to pay was a $40 co-pay. Nice. Onward and upward to for this long time TMSer. Breathe.............

TrueHealingMD, Tennis Tom and Sienna like this.
  2. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hello Marytabby,

I am glad you found a good TMS professional who was comforting.

It is great to hear positive feedback.

I am also dealing with knee pain, which comes from wont cartilage as well. In my case, I had knee surgery last summer (patella alignment), and after it felt much better, but when I went back training the physiotherapist asked me to do some sit ups and that was too early for my weak knee and it looks like the cartilage which was sore and weak suffered and an ulcer opened.
    It has been 4 months since that and that has made me think sometimes if after the justified pain for the injury, there might be some tricky TMS involved in it...

So clearly your Doctor told you that cartilage damage would not justify such a level of pain? What condhro level do you have? I am on level II with a small fisure.

Thanks!

3. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

I don't know what level but I trust Angelov. He said my cartliage is looking decent. That's all I needed to hear. No more about thickness or severity. It's superfluous at this point in my case to concern myself with it. Your situation sounds a bit less straightforward.

Sienna likes this.
  4. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Yes I guess it makes sense when you did not have surgery or a recent accident.
    It's great news for you, now you have to do to get well and get rid of your pain.
    Every time I have pain I only wish it was TMS, even if it takes time and dedication... you know you will get WELL!

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Interesting I went to see him a year ago or so yes he excepted my insurance but charge me $150 he did spend a lot of time going over my issues and told me I had TMS and yes he was very nice but I thought he was a little weird anyway he wanted me to come back in a month and kept cancelling so I decided not to go back .

6. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Well, I suppose we all have varying degrees of styles. I found Sopher not to be my cup of tea yet he's a TMS guru and people say his word is THE best. Not for me. Others find Angelov "different" yet he resonated with me. It's all a style preference. Try Sopher or Martinez.

7. Boston Redsox

Tried Sopher was not about to pay $300 for a Skype exam I thought that was a joke...

I got my answer from Angelov plus my pcp can't find anything wrong

8. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

That's a pretty good assurance of the TMS diagnosis, then. I say soldier on and do the work at this point.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  9. Boston Redsox

Where are you from

10. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Boston.

11. Boston Redsox

What have you been doing for tms healing

12. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter