1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sarno's Method

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kkcarlton, Aug 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

I am trying to understand Dr. Sarno's method of treating TMS. Was he saying that you simply need to understand and believe that symptoms are TMS, most likely due to repressed rage, but that you don't need to get to or feel the repressed rage?

I have incidents in my past that could definitely produce rage or anger or sadness. I don't remember how I felt as a child but I don't think I felt safe for many reasons. My previous marriage was emotionally and verbally abusive and I was afraid he would start beating me. I tried to get to my feelings around that marriage for example and I feel indifferent. No rage, no anger, no tears, etc. I think I may have been sexually abused between the ages 7 to 10, but I can't really get to the memories. Can I still be free of pain by using Dr. Sarno's method and the new program that was just put out or do I need to get to repressed emotions? Also, what about feeling my feelings in the future? How do I learn to feel anger and release it versus repressing it - is this where the new program comes in and assuring my brain that feeling feelings is ok?

With current pressures (not working so only one income, marriage - wanting to be a healthy, fun wife again, vacation in 3 months and a desire to be better by then, church, etc), symptoms, and so much information I feel pretty overwhelmed right now, but I am sure that's part of the process and I am not alone.

2. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

I have gone through newest program
    I found it very helpful. It's a good place to start. It doesn't focus on repressed anger but it does help a lot with overcoming fear. I think emotions in general need to be addressed, especially if you repress them. But starting with one of the programs is a good place to start. I love Dr Sarno's books and recommendations, but after reading them I wanted more. I think this site helps fill that void thanks to the programs they have.