1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 17 Sadness

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dankat, Mar 23, 2014.

1. dankat

dankat New Member

The question to ponder today was to take a look at what emotions keep coming up in the journal, and I think sadness is the biggest one for me. I am guessing that there is some anger to un-earth, as I am reluctant to do so in my daily life, but sadness seems to prevail throughout. Lots of inner child sadness. I think the funny thing to me is that I felt like I dealt with so much of this in my 20's when I saw a great therapist, so -- I thought I was done!! Oh no. It's amazing how much this stuff still hurts, and very rewarding to have a way, through this forum, to examine it all -- and to heal myself in the process. Very thankful for that. And yes, sad...!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dankat. I agree that sadness can be a frequent emotion reminder.
    I had a topsy-turvy childhood because of parents divorcing and there was gambling and drinking
    and insecurity from moving almost every year to a different apartment. Very unstable.

But I try to think about the good times we were all together and the fun times, too.
    Going to church together on Sunday mornings... mom, dad, and my older brother and sister and I.
    Especially Midnight Mass at Christmas. And the time my brother accidentally knocked over our
    Christmas tree, lights and ornaments and all, by coming in the living room door instead of
    the kitchen door.

I also used to love waking up and hearing my mom and dad talk in the kitchen when he came
    from from work driving a Chicago bus. Their soft voices lulled me back to sleep.

3. Stella

Stella Well known member

I, too, felt unbearable sadness and emotional pain that I was not sure I could recover from, But there are so many tools you are learning and tremendous insight into your peronality traits on how they drive your symptoms. Every month I get better and better. You will too.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Depression can be explained as thinking the same sad thoughts over and over again -- thus sadness. Do you think that you know what sad thoughts your thinking about? Don't tell me ok, that's your privacy but I was thinking if you could think of something else at the time that you have done faced the sad emotion so you can learn to flip your sad emotions to happy ones.
    This is done by thinking of a good past memory as you switch thoughts, then the better memory or the un-sad memory can take over in place of the sad memories or thoughts -- Sadness can also be erased with exposure therapy and eft.
    Thanks
    Bless You