1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

sad conclusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Dec 4, 2019.

1. mbo

mbo Well known member

My experience: the vast majority of elder people are absolutely convinced (by itself, neighbours, relatives, doctors, ...) that aging is enough to be in musculoskeletal pain. That belief is usually reinforced by MRI findings, scaring according his doctors.
    In my humble opinion is almost impossible to find interest and acceptacion of the hope offered by the theory of dr. Sarno in elder people. They directly reject the TMS paradigm and feel offended even aggressive.
    Any thoughts about it ?
    Thanks !

2. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

Mbo
    I am 70 and can say that by the time you have reached your 6th and 7th decade, you have likely developed a few medical problems you did not have earlier in life. And the medical model doesn't help much because they make you feel like they really cant do much for you and you feel pretty hopeless by the time they get finished with you. I know older adults who state they have benefited greatly from the mind body approach. And yet they are not certain how much more physical improvement to expect. When you have worked steadily on Sarno"s approach or Nichole Sachs or Dan Buglio or any of the really trustworthy and respected MBS physicians, therapists, or coaches, and you can make only so much progress, you start to ask yourself - maybe this is age related?? Which is another way of saying it's not going away. Even Dr Sarno was careful with older adults to make sure they were properly evaluated. I dont see myself ever giving up on TMS work. I just dont know if I can work thru these final painful symptoms. I also think MBS is still not widely understood yet regardless of age group.