1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Sad but very interesting video.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Huckleberry, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a heart-breaking nightmare and if anything it reinforces for me just how important it is that studies like the one @Alan Gordon LCSW is proposing are carried out and carried forward into the mainstream.

I know it's not a magic bullet but neuroscience is increasingly illuminating the way out of these horrifying experiences. There is a long way to go. There are still dinosaurs in the medical profession who are not up to speed in their own field but the next generation most certainly are. It is with them that hope will bloom and blossom into established and effective practice.

Thanks for posting this video. It is sobering viewing and it reminds us how far we have to go before the paradigm shift is reached.

3. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

I seriously think we should not post such videos here, many people here are really desperate and when they watch this video they will start to think they are suffering from something similar .
    Just reading the text creeped the hell out of me.

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a fair point. Before I was confident that my pain was neurological/TMS certain things would freak me out. I'm cool around them now and see it as another way fear can gain the upper hand.

(Aside from this, I do think our culture needs to examine it's attitudes around death because for so many people it is the bogey man.)

CarboNeVo likes this.
  5. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

Didn't watch the whole video, did he try the TMS approach??

6. CarboNeVo

I know Huckleberry posted it with good intentions and I really thank him for that.
    I am past those things too, TMS gave me my life back afterall, but we should not forget about those desperate people who are still in those dark places (and theres so many of them here, just look at the posts under Alan Gordons program).. 2 years back such video would drive me nuts, I would seriously associate all my symptoms to this illness (I am a chronic hypochondriac), cold sweat, severe anxiety and neurological flashes across my entire body would be just the start lol.

7. Huckleberry

Apologies if this has been a trigger for anyone.

Weirdly I have raging health anxiety and stuff about cancer, ALS etc etc can send me into a spiral of panic but this didn't have the effect on me...I just saw it as indicative of just how powerful the mind can be when it produces physical symptoms and pain.

I'm more than happy for the thread to be deleted if it is likely to be upsetting to people. I realise we all interpret things differently and what is benign and even useful to one person is often a negative trigger for others.

CarboNeVo likes this.
  8. CarboNeVo

Imo let's keep it here, but maybe lets give the title a warning to people for whom this might trigger anxiety/panic

9. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

I thought it was really interesting, and incredibly sad. I don't think it should be taken down, as it offers more 'mainstream' evidence that psychosomatic pain disorders exist, I think that is important.

plum likes this.
  10. Huckleberry

Yeah, that was my thinking.

Accepting the TMS mind-body diagnosis is incredibly difficult for so many of us on here and thought this sort of reinforced it. This poor soul was in pain and turmoil that drove him to take the action he did and this was all from a pain syndrome that had no physical causality but was purely somatoform. We often doubt that our back pain, stomach issues, carpal tunnel etc etc can really be psychologically induced but this really does go to show the power of the mind.

One thing. I've read widely around the subject of mind-body illness and this really does seem to be an incredibly isolated and unusual case and it's severity. During the video the lads father mentions that his son wanted to spread the message of mental issues leading to physical pain not for himself but for others going forward...with that in mind I think this forum is the perfect place to put it forward.

plum likes this.
  11. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

It was and is a sad story filmed in Canada (socialized medicine). You think with him crying out his doctors would have hospitalized him to monitor any treatment plan they came up with. I believe he wanted to live and needed some relief. Even Sarno said he prescribed strong pain killers at times. It was obvious he had a mind-body syndrome....gosh so sad.

12. Joan

Joan New Member