1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

running, pain in my ankle

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anna1, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

After a huge TMS succes of the past two months and no pain accept in my left knee, right now my right ankle is bothering me quite bad. Im freaked out. I have been repeating the TMS concepts and I am focusing on the emotion. I think it has something to do with a coming up concert trip to Belarus (part of former Soviet Union). I sort of regret making this concert trip that I'm not paid for, not even the expenses. I agreed to do it because the concert is in the main concert hall of Minsk, and my (great) pianist is from this country. At the time I was hoping I could go with my boyfriend and make a nice holiday trip out of it. I'm quite interested in this country (it's a dictatorship). But he could'nt join me... Now I'm staying at my pianist's parents in their small appartment. So is my pianist, his wife and his little daughter. I still have sleeping issues, and especially in strange places I dont sleep. Also, the concert gives me some tension. I will perform Belarussian songs in Belarussian (which is different from Russian).

Anyway, I sort of wish I could cancel, but I can't and I don't want it either. It's a very interesting experience and I just want to go, but I'm scared to death. Realizing all this, feeling the anxiousness, why is the ankle pain not going away?

I have been working out for two months now, and all my symptoms accept the knee pain are gone. The past two times I was running my ankle's been bothering me. An old problem... Should I continue running? I went from 2 to 6 kilometres quite abruptly. And I ran 5 the last time. But the first time I ran 6 I didnt have pain in my ankle.

Should I take it easier with running? I havent been building up slowly like people advise...

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Maybe you're using running as another way to be really hard on yourself and your body is rebelling?

The travel situation you mentioned sounds stressful, maybe there is a way to be compassionate to yourself around this issue?

Anna1 likes this.
  3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Scared to death. That is pretty extreme. Fear keeps the symptoms active. Originally I thought fear was about being frightened of pain and other symptoms. Now I realize that other fears will affect me physically. Fear of heights is one of mine. Yesterday I was passenger in a car driving down Highway 1 in California, stopping frequently to peer over the edge of cliffs. I really wanted to make is journey. I would have regretted it if I hadn't done it. Yet I was coming up with every excuse beforehand to get out of it. It is understandable for you to be apprehensive about your trip. On the surface you feel disappointed that your BF can't come with you. What do you think is going on under the surface? Rage, I suspect. At the same time you look forward to this great opportunity. Try to take each day as it comes and enjoy the moment rather than focussing so much on the future, what is round the next cliff edge.

Let us know how you get on in Belarus.

Anna1 likes this.
  4. Dee

Dee New Member

Hi Ruth: I have essentially gotten past my knee, shoulder and back pain over the course of the past several months. But about two months ago, I developed a pain in my left ankle. It only seemed to bother me when I was running or in Spin class and when I got up in the mornings. I have been seeing a physical therapist to help me strengthen my left leg because I had knee surgery two years ago and I never felt like it healed correctly (because I babied it because I couldn't do the PT exercises for my knee because they made my back hurt) and there is a noticeable strength deficit. She knows about all of my TMS issues and fully supports the concept and what I'm doing to get past the pain. When I asked her if there was any reason for my left ankle to hurt (I was afraid it was a result of me working out much harder in recent months and overextending the weaker leg), she told me absolutely not. And, poof, just like that, the pain disappeared and hasn't been back in 3 weeks now.

I would recommend that you keep running and just talk to your brain when you feel the pain come on and let it know that you will not be intimidated by it and that you know it's only your emotions that are causing it. I am running and Spinning without any ankle pain now. It sounds like you have enough stressors in your life at the moment related to that trip that it would cause the pain to appear somewhere else. Best of luck!

Anna1 likes this.
  5. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Hi all, never got back at you.. The trip turned out to be wonderful, and the ankle pain went away when I started to treat it as TMS and let go of the fear of running, or the fear that I had been running too much....

The concert went very well too...

So really, what was THAT all about ;-)

Thanks for the support!!!

yb44 likes this.