1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

RSI support needed!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LBRSI, Sep 15, 2020.

1. LBRSI

LBRSI Newcomer

Hiya, I would really appreciate anyone with some support to offer - I'm a 23 year old woman and I've had completely debilitating 'RSI' (doctor's diagnosis compressed nerve) for over six months now. I was really really down about it, and to be honest considering some really drastic things, but since finding out about Dr Sarno, reading the books and the success stories I have been feeling so much better. Two months down the line and I was back to playing my guitar, writing my diary and typing very small amounts (not pain free, but much improved from before - my mum was brushing my teeth for me!)
    Last week I decided to take the plunge and do some 'proper' typing. I typed up some funny short stories I wrote with my cousins when we were kids, as I knew this would make me laugh while I was typing. I never did more than an hour at a time. I was really confident in the diagnosis, or I would never have attempted this, but this week my pain has come back (particularly in my right hand, my pain is always worse in one arm or the other for some reason) and I am feeling very hopeless. I thought I was on the road to recovery but now I feel I am back at square one. I have already avoided computers for two months (I had to quit my job), and I need to be able to use one, just like everyone else. Fighting the TMS/RSI is so hard because I don't want to complain about the pain to my family (and reinforce the idea that it's physical) so I feel so lonely in my battle. I can't handle talking to other people my age because I feel like my life is now just so different from theirs, like I've lost my whole future.
    Sorry for the sad post, I don't want to depress anyone but I could really use a TMS friend!
    LBRSI

2. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

RSI symptoms have been the scariest part of this whole ordeal for me. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that at such a young age, but I have to say, it seems extreeeeemely unlikely that a 23 yo could develop a permanent structural issue -- even if the initial cause was a legitimate overuse injury.

I feel alienated from my peers, too. I'm a bit older than you (32), but I'm not aware of anybody around my age who has issues like this. I feel that's just more proof that MBS is the culprit.

I think everyone who has gone through this describes it as a "2 steps forward, one step back" type of thing. It's futile to fight symptoms; it's more productive to shift focus and start examining the state of your inner world.

Anyhoo, I wish you luck with your battle. You're definitely not alone in feeling scared and uncertain about the future.

3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

You definitely have TMS. If you do a search on the wiki for Outcome Independence and also read Forest's story (he runs the wiki) you will see he suffered from the same symptoms and got better. He has a few videos on YT as well. The concept of outcome independence is really key in reversing the pain strategy. What you have is easily reversible and you will get better!

TG957 likes this.
  4. LBRSI

LBRSI Newcomer

Thank you for this - it really helps to know that there are people out there who understand what it's like to be young and in such a confusing state of pain! Remaining positive is so important but so difficult, even though I have fully accepted the TMS diagnosis. Thank you for your support :)

5. LBRSI

LBRSI Newcomer

Thank you so much for drawing my attention back to the outcome independence, you're right it's one of the most important things to remember. Thank you for the kind words, and helping me remember that the pain doesn't make sense! :)