1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

RSI or TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jasminemarie, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Jasminemarie

Jasminemarie Newcomer

Hi there,

I recently discovered TMS and this forum, and it has given me some hope. But I wanted some opinions on whether I am suffering from rsi symptoms or TMS, any advice greatly appreciated!

I have been having forearm and wrist pain for about 8 months, it started while I was working as a research intern 8/9 hours at the computer daily plus smartphone and laptop use at home. I was quite stressed in this time (applying for a phd and I moved away from family/boyfriend) but since then I have been accepted onto a phd, left the internship and moved back in with my partner. I thought once I left my job the pain in my arms would disappear but it has worsened despite me using a computer minimally (30mins-hour per day). My doctor prescribed rest and ibuprofen! Which did very little. I have been going to a physio who said this was tennis elbow, prescribing strengthening exercises, but this doesn't seem to help much. Stretching, hot/cold and massage feels nice but not long after the symptoms return.

After reading this forum last week I started trying to tell myself that the pain wasn't real, and for a couple of days I thought I was getting better but now I am back to the same as before. How do I find out whether it is rsi or tms? And if tms, how do I get started in tackling this?

6 weeks away from starting a PhD, I know this will likely be a much longer battle, but I would love to make some strides towards recovery before then.