1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Rough Day

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mdh157, Mar 12, 2015.

1. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Man, today I can sit still and feel twitching/clicking in my hands and it is driving me nuts - and my inability to get my mind off it isn't helping. One minute I am ignoring it, the next it is scaring the he11 out of me.

I don't feel it when moving around, seems like my muscles want to be moving all of the time.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mdh157,

You are taken by fear right now, it sounds like. Try to observe that fear, feel it (as in contact it as something specific and distinct in your body awareness, not a global engulfment), and dismiss it like an obvious TMS symptom you all ready know about and can dismiss. Do you have that mastery yet, with other symptoms? Maybe not mastery, but a good practice with them? If so, apply that to the fear. Feel it, name it, see it as TMS, dismiss it.

Remember fear is the biggest distraction, greater than physical symptoms. Gently inquire into what it is you don't want to feel in this moment.

Also, try to apply this witnessing to the twitching. So what, the hands are twitching. Are you safe in a place of protection? Is your life threatened? Probably not, but survival stuff is getting activated maybe. Be present and brave with it, as best you can.

You are in fear. Simple. Nothing more. Hard to bear, perhaps, but observable, witness-able. Same with the twitching. "If we can see it, we are larger than it" Dr. Richard Moss.

Hope this helps a little and hang in there. This acute feeling right now is probably a great training ground for the rest of your life!!

Andy B.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Today I had a jumpy skittish feeling in my stomach. So I did a journalling exercise of a dialog with my nervous stomach, from day 17 of SEP. I asked it why it was doing this ? "it" answered that when I was little I learned to ignore warning signs of danger and so my brain did it to make me jumpy and aware. This way if any danger came I would be ready. I asked if this was still needed and the answer was probably not, we could try not doing it for awhile. Then while I listened to Dr Sarno lecture the nervous stomach went away.

It might help to ask this symptom about itself.

5. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Man, you guys have it all together.......I am working on it, not going to give up, but make no mistake, it is difficult. Yesterday my left leg was twitching bad, today it's the hands and one foot. After all this you'd think I could take the moving symptoms and assure myself 100% it is TMS.

The next time someone calls me stupid I'm going to have to agree with them.

6. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Lol, No way do I have this figured out! Only days 15 and 17 have I journaled and gotten in touch with any emotion at all. But thats better than the 1st 14. Also, I am taking longer than 1 day for each.

I noticed I became a peer supporter. I am fairly new here too. Haha, when I was in school they called it talking too much!

Joking aside though, I am really noticing changes in me due to the SEP.

And your not stupid! Thats TMS! Your conscious knows, but your working on letting it "sink in" on the sub-c level. Be kind to yourself, go ahead and yell at your sub-c if you want though!

Peggy likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lizzy. In grammar school one day, while in line going from one class to another,
    a teacher grabbed me by the back of my neck and said, very loudly,
    "You talk incessently!"

I guess I was glad I was good at something, even though I still don't know how to spell it.

Peggy likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I looked it up and it's spelled incessantly. I was close, anyway.

9. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

You do talk incessantly Walt, but that's ok since it is about TMS.

Lizzy, I have not really gotten in touch with any emotion since I started journaling, it seems as though I write stuff down and think "meh" about whatever/whoever it is. That's part of the problem for me it seems - that I have not really gotten into my unconscious yet.

Something is going on, now my both hands are hurting on top of the twitching. Dammit brain, stop it!

10. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Man, this keeps snowballing........my right hand is now getting a small fast twitch in the thenar muscle, i feel it but cannot see it, must be deeper in. Third time in the past 5 days for this and i'm starting to worry about A** again. I have never been so scared in my life.