1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

rough day

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sara_cynthia, Dec 6, 2013.

1. sara_cynthia

sara_cynthia New Member

Hi, I woke up yesterday and my neck was out of whack and hurting I decided to ignore the pain as much as possible and went shopping with a friend. I had a Wonderful. Now today my old familiar hip pain has struck big time. I kinda discouraged and having a difficult time tapping into the anger what is coming up is lots of feelings of fear and sadness. Is this normal? Does it take some time to tap into the anger?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Sara_cynthia,
    I wouldn't worry about anger not coming up. The important thing is that you are beginning to "think psychological instead of physical" as Dr. Sarno suggests. You're beginning to tap into your feelings and that is the important part of the process. It took a couple of months of journalling till I began to see that I had anger. I had repressed my emotions for my entire life and didn't feel much of anything at first. Then the sadness, fear, guilt, shame came out, and finally anger. The important thing is not to censor yourself and accept what comes up. It will happen in its own time. Just provide the opportunity and space for it, and the feelings will reveal themselves.

And welcome to the forum....

nowtimecoach and Lily Rose like this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes you should be getting feelings of fear, anger or sadness- this is what you have been running from your whole life. Now you are facing it while journaling or thinking emotional ok.

So , remember this is the work in the way of re-leasing repressions but you will need to soothe afterwards so thats when I think of a feel good journal that I have already pre-prepared writing all my most positive times in life there- that way after im done and I have to do the hard work Im already prepared with some positive things to think about after the digging work ya know. Its worked fine for me and it will for you too- write about your future plans and goals that you plan to acheive after the pain resides and feel it, believe it- become it. Face your fears and they will whittle, just have to get in the practice and give it time.

nowtimecoach and Lily Rose like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sara-Cynthia,
    You've gotten good advice from Ellen and Herbie.

I get angry too, about people and even objects like my computer when it doesn't work.
    With people, I tell my self they're probably in TMS pain themselves and they just feel better
    making it miserable for me or others. With inanimate objects I sometimes get mad and bash them.
    That can break them so I try not to do that. I just yell at it, then I laugh.

I treat anger as something to laugh about. Laughing makes the anger go away, fast.

Even if I'm angry or stressed about something that keeps me awake in bed at night,
    I start laughing and fall asleep right away.

Maybe try it.

Lily Rose likes this.
  5. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Must learn this trick, must learn this, oh yes, must :)

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

6. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Hi, Sara-Cynthia: Fear and sadness are perfectly normal. In fact, I read somewhere that anger is a secondary emotion, arising from -- guest what? Fear and sadness! I know this is very true for me. I get angry as a defence against feeling afraid and sad (or maybe sadness is a defence, as well).

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I had lots to be angry or frustrated about this morning.
    My toilet has been leaking underneath and rotted the floor,
    so I had to have a contractor come look at it and it resulted in
    tearing up the tile floor, removing rotted wooden underlayment,
    digging some concrete flooring, and replacing everything but not the toilet,
    just repairing it. $1000. I probably got off cheap, and did save a few hundred
    because another contractor wanted that plus materials, while the crew I have
    here today included them.

I just wanted to write about all that to give an idea of the stresses today,
    and also my computer which is acting up again (they really do have a life of
    their own, like Hal in A SPACE ODYSSEY).

Anyway, long story short, instead of going into a rage today
    (I couldn't because the contractors were here) I laughed it all away.

It did go away, BY LAUGHING.

I guess we just can't be angry or unhappy and LAUGH at the same time.
    Laughter must be stronger than anger.

If the contractor is through soon, I may even be able to relieve myself in another way.

haha

nowtimecoach likes this.
  8. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

I really liked what Eric said... Its worked fine for me and it will for you too- write about your future plans and goals that you plan to acheive after the pain resides and feel it, believe it- become it. Face your fears and they will whittle, just have to get in the practice and give it time.
    I forgot about that dreaming part of the pain free future and goals. I totally get the practice, practice, practice and give it time. When I started with all this, I had no idea that I had so much anger/rage inside of me. It was buried so deep under the Good Girl persona. I celebrate her today. She is making me way tougher than I thought I could ever be...but in an accepting way. Acknowledgement of one's deep feelings is so powerful. Its not like I have to act on them - The important thing for me is to actually acknowledge that they exist inside of me. After that - the journey of the emotion is free to go wherever - instead of being stuffed and repressed. AKA pain!