1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Riding Bike

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Raj s, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Ever since i learned to ride bike, i always had the fear of going for a bike ride in traffic.. Somehow i overcame that fear and when my uncle bought a new bike and i started enjoying to ride the bike.

As soon as i got pain in my hands and my upper back, whenever i take bike, i used to get severe pain in my hand and upper back. Then i started to stop riding. Whenever i go out with my friends i used to sit in the back seat. I couldnt do what i wish to do.

After learning about TMS, i started doing this activity. Initially i felt some pain but it was not like before. Now i am still afraid whenever i go out and ride bike. But slowly i am getting used to riding bike without much pain..

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Your experience with bike riding, Raj s, is the exact opposite of mine. Whenever I ride my bike, my sciatica and lower back pain disappear. However, when I walk down hill, my back pain and sciatica start acting up. It just goes to show how much TMS pain is due to conditioning and programming. But that's a good sign because any conditioned behavior can be deprogrammed.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I loved riding a bike and rode one until about two years ago.
    I rode on the streets that were fairly empty of traffic, but some motorists still came
    at me like they intended to run me down. Some came close to it.
    And most motorists today do not signal which direction they are going to turn,
    so it was a guess to me and became dangerous.

So when you ride a bike, be very careful about motorists.

Ride on bike trails in parks if possible and avoid streets and traffic.