1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous? Text Neck

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Enrique, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I'd love to hear what Dr. Sarno or another TMS doc has to say about this.

Sounds ridiculous to me. And since the study is published by a spine surgeon, it seems like an example of "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Boston Redsox likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sending that article about smartphones and neck pain.
    I don't own a smartphone, i-phone or any other handheld device.
    I prefer being barely in touch with others than being in constant touch.

I wonder what smartphones do to cause anxiety and other symptoms in the head (the brain).

I was lunching last week in a restaurant with a father and son, and the son was on his iPad
    more than he was with us. And the son was no preteen or teenager. He is a 40-year-old man
    living in his parents' home and I doubt he pays them anything. He's a good kid, though,
    but he's totally connected to those electric minidevices.

Tennis Tom and Enrique like this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the human spine is quite strong and durable enough to stand looking down at an iPhone or iPad without causing it to "degenerate". I do wonder though about the intrinsic psychic stress associated with being absorbed into cyberspace 70% of the day and night?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Enrique likes this.
  5. Enrique

Walt, I think they do cause a level of anxiety for some. I know when I was in my corporate job, my smartphone represented somewhat of a chain to my boss, to the ongoing projects, and to my team. It certainly had a link to my stress levels. I was always looking at it for new messages when I wasn't at my desk.

Bruce, I agree with you about our spines being durable enough to withstand looking down. What's sad is how many people will read that and spread the news via social media... how many cases of text neck will there be? I recall there was a similar article some time back about thumb pain related to typing on the smartphones too.

6. BruceMC

If anyone has any doubts about the intrinsic strength of the human spine, Erique, just take a drive down to Ocean Beach and visit the primate cage in the San Francisco Zoo and take a gander at those leapin' lemurs. They can swing by their "degenerating" shoulders and do back flips all day with their "degenerating" spines and vertebrae without laying in their dens moaning about their aches and pains. Heck, human beings are primates like lemurs too. All the talk in that article about a 60 lb stress on the neck from the weight of the head leading to "degeneration" sounds completely ridiculous to me. Too bad such nonsense, as you point out, will get disseminated among the general public who will repeat it until it acquires the force of fact. Talk about monkey see, monkey do!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    North Star and Enrique like this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I noticed today that my head is in the same position as described in that article when I read a book. Yet, I never heard of "reading neck".

8. bagofwater

bagofwater Peer Supporter

Yes, ridiculous! This article is all over my FB feed. Human's having been looking down at their hands since we've had hands! Yet somehow, in the last five years our necks have lost the strength to hold up our own heads.

9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

The obvious fix for the text-neck epidemic will be the Google Glasses.

Enrique likes this.
  10. Tennis Tom

11. Enrique

Exactly!!

12. Enrique

Hey, maybe Google is behind all of this as a ploy to market their gadget!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  13. Enrique

I know.. it's crazy!

14. BruceMC

Except that Google is discontinuing sales of its Google Glasses:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30831128

Maybe too many people were getting sore necks from the added weight?

Enrique likes this.
  15. Tennis Tom

Does anyone want to buy an Apple Newton and a Google Glass, both slightly used?

Enrique and BruceMC like this.