1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Revisiting TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Bluesky, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Bluesky

Bluesky New Member

I first read 'Healing Back Pain' five years ago after having sciatica for two years. It healed within a couple of weeks and I was amazed to be able to run, walk easily and return to a normal life after having to alter a lot of my daily activities to accommodate the pain.

Since then I have suggested to many people that they read the book and I have re-read through the principles online whenever I have felt a return of the pain. I have only felt the occasional twinge over the past few years and it has gone within a few days.

Then three weeks ago I felt a nagging pain in the back of my leg which then felt a lot more painful when I was sprinting during a run. It was very sore so I stopped running, iced it and went home. The next day there was no pain at all so I put it down to TMS.

However I was due to compete in a running race a few days later and felt a slight twinge during warm up so didn't take part in the race. I've took two weeks off from running in case it was a hamstring strain, because I didn't want to tear a muscle (which I have done before). I began getting very different pain then, rather than pain in the area where the muscle hurt, I got shooting pains up and down my foot, lower leg, upper leg and buttock, just the same as the sciatic pain I had years ago. This made me suspicious it was TMS again. I went to a doctor, who diagnosed a hamstring strain and suggested a couple of weeks off running.

I played it safe and stuck to two weeks off running plus have a rehab regime of exercises from the gym, then returned to running one week ago, gradually. It was fine during this past week and once I started running, the shooting pains disappeared. However this morning I went for a run and had to walk instead because I could feel pain in the original place in the back of my leg. Now those shooting pains/sciatic pains have returned again.

I feel so low because it reminds me of the time before when I was in pain. I know I should probably just go out and run, forget the rehab exercises and get back into my normal regime. However I know I need to do journalling work etc because I have had a number of significant life changes over the past six months and if ever there was a time for a TMS recurrence, this would be it.

I'm glad to find the SEP because I know I need to revisit the principles of TMS and just the act of writing this account makes me see how likely it is that the pain is TMS.

2. Guseman

Guseman Peer Supporter

Hi Bluesky,

I'm restarting the program too! My biggest symptom is anxiety, but along with that comes hypochondria. I've definitely had problems with exercise recently, worrying about when my heart rate goes up too fast and stays too fast for too long. Which is only something that has happened since my panic disorder kicked in. It is so hard to go back and keep at it though, because I'm so worried that something horrible is going to happen. So I feel you.
    We are healthy though! Its so hard sometimes to truly believe that TMS is the culprit, but I'm working on constantly reminded myself too!
    Good luck!

3. Camila

Camila New Member

Hi Bluesky,

I'm also a runner and recovered from some TMS "running injuries" last year. What jumped out at me from your post was "I have had a number of significant life changes over the past six months" plus you had no pain the day after the supposed injury and the symptoms changed and started bouncing around, coming and going. That really sounds like TMS to me. If you had injured your hamstring I think you would have been limping around the next day. With the caveat that I have absolutely no medical background, my advice would be to ditch the rehab exercises and doctor visits and return to your normal routine ASAP. The running will do you a world of good psychologically. Try not to fear the symptoms as they come on and ignore them to the best of your ability. Tell yourself you are fine and have no structural problems. It's a great idea to do some journaling also to process what you've been through the last six months. When my "running injuries" started I had just finished up a year where my dad had died and I needed to settle his affairs after which we embarked on designing and building a new home, getting our old one ready to sell, and then moving into temporary quarters before moving into our new home. No surprise that would create some symptoms! I wish you the best of luck Bluesky.

4. billyp

billyp New Member

Hi Bluesky,

You are doing the right thing by reconnecting with the TMS programs. I am also a runner and have had experiences of pain that I associate with running- knee pain, achilles tendonitis. My back pain and neck pain became so severe that I even figured running was the reason for those issues too. I spent 5 years trying to figure out what was wrong with me and tens of thousands of dollars. Thank God I was given Dr. Sarnos book on healing back pain. It's back pain but so much more. The mind is a wonderful and very complicated system. TMS is an amazing discovery for the fortunate souls who are so inclined to refuse the traditional medical diagnoses of pain and consider a method of recovery that relies purely on one's self. Good luck in your recovery! Focusing on happiness and letting go of the past has been the key for me.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, everyone. I love Billyp's success story, healing so fast after believing in TMS. It doesn't happen that fast to many of us,
    but when it does, it is pure inspiration to everyone.

And what a handsome couple you make!

Bluesky, The SEP is a wonderful place to help you discover the emotional causes of your pain. Watch the success story videos on this web site and on YouTube. They are great inspiration.

6. Bluesky

Bluesky New Member

Hi all,

Thank you for your messages and for your advice about why it does sound like TMS. It helps so much to hear these points of view when I am mostly hearing conventional medical opinions most of the time. I have just ordered a new copy of Dr Sarno's book so look forwards to reading that and going through the success stories on the site.

Camila, you are right when you talk about the life changes that can precede a relapse of TMS. Within the past ten months my father also died, I started a new job, which I enjoy but which is responsible and pretty stressful and also moved towns so there has been a lot of change and I'm guessing I have repressed my emotions during this time. I'm glad to find this SEP program and also hear about people who have resumed running.

Thanks again and I wish you all the best with your recoveries too.