1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Reviewing stressors

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

I have been reading the great pain deception in which it says to review stressors every day but I've also been advised to try to maximise positive feelings with visualisations et cetera so don't know if Reviewing stressors is counteracting this. Any thoughts please

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ellie, the purpose of journaling/free writing is to allow otherwise repressed emotions to surface into consciousness, in doing so, you can develop a greater insight about yourself. Particularly any emotional themes that may repeatedly surface. Once you've homed into this skill, these emotions which bring you turmoil will be in your awareness and serve no purpose. TMS is a process and you have to work through the negative emotions as well as enforcing positive beliefs. They both go hand in hand. Lastly, you should only be spending a minimal time on journaling/negative writing. Best regards

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ellie. I like Mike's reply to your post. I too believe that working on negative emotions and also enforcing positive beliefs go hand in hand.
    Also, not to spend a lot of time journaling and thinking about anything negative. Spend more time thinking positive and doing things that you enjoy.

Bex likes this.
  4. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

Thanks for this. My understanding of reviewing stressors is that I should read over the list of the main stressors in my life daily as distinct from journaling. Maybe this is not what ozanich meant but do you think doing that as well as journaling is a good idea?

5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Absolutely, we feel stress on a daily basis and it's important to think psychologically and learn to review these proactively and on a day to day basis. Journal about these issues too. I tend to reflect on the days stressors in the evening, prior to meditation and write about these the following day. We need to move away from the more reactive mindset of letting a negative belief/thought control us, but learning to proactively engage with ourselves on a deeper level.

By reviewing past and current behaviour, we can identify patterns of toxic thinking and use various techniques to help aid us.

Finally, i spend around 60 minutes a day on TMS work, but my breathe work sessions tend to vary.

Best regards