1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Returning to the SEP

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Mar 28, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Hello,
    I've been part of this TMS community for a little while, but I fell off the map for a bit. I was working very consistently with the SEP but around Day 27 life seemed to just catch up with me, and I stopped. Since then things haven't been easy, and it really feels like my condition- diagnosed as IBS- has flared up. Last night I had my worst anxiety attack to date and it was a real wake up call I think. So I've recommited myself to the SEP and am posting today to keep myself accountable! I'm going to rewind a bit and start back up at Day 20. In the time since I've slipped up with the SEP I've probably lost some of my beliefs in it, but I am ready to reaffirm and get back to creating a positive mindset for myself and sending my body and health, as flawed as it is, some love. Does anyone have any advice about getting started up again? Thanks for your support and words of encouragement per usual!

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think these steps forward and then steps back will always happen, but keep going forward!
    I listened to an interesting interview the other day that mentioned IBS (something i was diagnosed with too.) () it was interesting and probably good advice - fresh food and herbs!
    But with the TMS i think we sometimes need to leave it be for a few days or weeks - and at other times we may need to power ahead and do more.
    I did the SEP and read a lot of books, journalled and meditated daily and i had to cut out family visits ( a source of much stress!) for about 6 months because i just could not do both and the TMS work was far more important - for me! But then i had a few months where i scaled it down and just meditated and read 'around' the subject. It gave me a kind of breathing space for it all to catch up and be integrated i suppose. Now - nearing my 3rd pain-free year (YAHOO!) I can feel in myself when i need to set aside time to meditate, journal or read and i make darn sure i do. If i am ill i am no use to myself or anyone else. But when i am well and firing on all cylinders - i am invincible...!
    It takes practice to ensure we don't just get subsumed into daily life again - always keep your own mental, emotional, psychological and physical health at the forefront of your mind. But if you feel like time off from 'thinking' about it all - then do. Tis all part of the process IMHO!

3. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Thank you so much for your response, that is very encouraging! I am definitely trying to jump back in with both feet and really get to the other side of this!

hecate105 likes this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Good for you, dcl, for re-committing to the SEP. Yes, sometimes life intervenes, but then we sometimes pay the price for that! Sorry your symptoms have flared.
    Today I needed to read your statement about sending yourself some love. Keep up that positive mindset!
    Blessings.

hecate105 likes this.