1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5 Returning to a hobby

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ryan79, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Ryan79

Ryan79 Peer Supporter

Think of some activities you really enjoy doing. If you could do one of these activities without feeling stressed out, without having anxiety, and without worrying about your family, kids, job, etc. how would that feel?

My favorite hobby has always been video games. As I've grown older I like story driven games or games that challenge one mentally. I have decreased the number of shooter or horror, gruesome games over the years since these are boring to me. I guess that's what's been difficult over the past year is that I've back way off them. Story driven games give me a narrative to weave through, digest, think about possible outcomes, and immerse myself in. So far this week I've played every day. Although I don't play much more than an hour but I'm enjoying myself. My symptoms never really go away yet, but hopefully they'll subside some. I just need to know that I can still enjoy my hobby. I'm not scared at this point about injuring myself, but hope this hobby can still bring me joy.

Why do you not do this activity more often?
    I stopped playing because I always feel like I need to save my hands for working. I keep rationalizing to myself if I can save my hands for work, I'll give you a break in the evening so you won't have to perform (my hands).

What steps could you take to do this activity stress free and without worrying about other things? Do this activity this week.

I'm sitting a goal to play everyday this week no matter what. Just to get an hour in at night time. I've always wanted to start a youtube channel to talk about my favorite video game series. I don't really care about views but just to mentally talk out loud about something I'm passionate about.

I have been journaling but took a few days off from the SEP curriculum. I was reading a lot off Dr. David Hanscom website.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Looks like you're doing fine, Ryan. The video game watching gives your imagination a good workout, and that's a good distraction from pain.

I hope you will work on the Youtube video about your favorite video games. I bet that would generate good replies and maybe make you some new friends.

I wouldn't get a mind-set that using your hands should be limited to work. They're meant for play, too.

Your baby is adorable. Have fun playing with him/her.