1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Returning TMS!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Acjax, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Acjax

Acjax New Member

Hi, I have just joined this forum and any help or advice would be gratefully received.
    I read Dr Sarnos book Healing Back Pain 3 years ago after suffering from years of back pain(s) culminating in a spasm which absolutely floored me. I slowly recovered to a degree, and then I read Dr Sarnos which I got straight away and completely recovered to a point where I've been pain free until a couple of months ago.
    This is lower back pain which is really bad when I'm stood, and it's getting worse.
    I understand the concepts in Dr Sarnos book and I'm trying to work them now but to no avail!
    I've had a lot happen in my life during the last year. The break up of my marriage, a complete change round in work to be able to accommodate my Son who is 5 nearly 6 and money is fairly tight but I have enough. Things are levelling out now and I realise that all this emotional turmoil has caused my back pain but I can't seem to shift it! It's been nearly 3 months now and is is getting me down. I'm still working and I started jogging a few weeks ago (always wanted to do it and as the book says 'don't let the pain stop you doing physical activity') the pain was there when I began running and ironically I doesn't hurt when I run!

I talk to my brain and think emotionally and not physically.

I've just ordered Steve Ozanichs book The Great Pain Deception after reading reviews.

I don't know what else to do.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Adam

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

I hear you - being doing this work for 5 years now. It sounds like maybe you have some unresolved feelings about your marriage breaking up that would be helpful to get off your chest. Plus, the pressures of being a single mom, working, and money issues has got to be very stressful. Your brain is maybe overwhelmed and so to thinks it needs to protect you from these emotional issues. Keep doing what you’re doing, but try to incorporate some meditation and other relaxing things into your life. You need nurturing and the back pain is serving as a call for help, imo.

My pain has flared up big time, as well, since I started a new job a month ago, doing what I love to do; still, TMS has decided success to me means being perfect - typical of course. Steve’s books are invaluable for really understanding and incoporating TMS principals. After I read his books, I started to heal; but after 20 years of chronic pain, my brain has become so sensitized to pain, it’s like it doesn’t know anything else. Hard to break a habit you don’t willingly want or need - or so we think. ;)

Take care and hope that was helpful.

westb likes this.
  3. Rnie328

Rnie328 New Member

Hi Adam. I don’t have any additional advice. I just wanted to chime in and tell you you’re not alone. My story is similar. Thanks to the Sarno books I was pain free for over 15 years. But in the past year back pain has crept back into my life and it’s awful. Like you I’m just now starting Steve Ozanich’s book. I’m hoping he can take me to the next level of dealing with TMS.

I find hearing people’s success stories helps my state of mind. There are obviously tons of stories here in the forums. But I really enjoyed listening to the testimonials on Steve’s “Healing Wall of Victory.” I highly recommend.