1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Return to Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ash86, Nov 3, 2014.

1. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Hi all! My pain has been improving. In fact my lumbar pain is gone. It shifted to mid back, but is slowly resolving. This makes me so excited because I feel like its almost time for me to return to work. I am an RN. It's like any job... there are the ups and downs. My only fear is what happens if the stresses of nursing causes my pain to return? How have you guys returned to stressful jobs, but kept the pain away? Working in a hospital generates so much emotion. Thanks for any and all advice! :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad you are thinking of returning to work. Being a nurse must be stressful and emotional, but if you feel it might be too much too soon,
    maybe try working only four hours to start, and see how that goes. Maybe after a while, then six hours, and then a full day. And when at work,
    find time to do deep breathing and meditation.

ash86 likes this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Great job Ash! Get back to living, but this time with much more confidence. You're now armed with the knowledge of what's going on, you will anticipate and head off trouble. But be careful of "expecting" problems, expectation is like honey to a bear. Don't fear.

Many people have returned to their jobs and done fine. But when you say "stressful job" that where the problem begins. It's only stressful if you see it as stressful. TMS comes from self imposed pressure only, not from the outside. The world can throw its entire weight on you but it means nothing unless you yourself see it as pressure.

So go back to living and don't put so much pressure on YOU. If you feel a symptom you know what it is, and to shift your awareness to task and away from body. Don't let your mind's eye peak at your body to avoid anxiety. Note how you're feeling throughout the day, be aware of what's going on internally and there's no need for a diversion.

And most important, have fun. Enjoy it all more now.

Steve

4. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Thanks Steve! It's really helpful to think that the job itself isn't stressful, its the pressure I put on myself. That gives me a little more confidence in going back. I think it will help that before felt so much pressure to do well, I would get so aggravated with myself when I made any mistakes. But now, after how I was feeling, I am just excited to be able to work.