1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Research on the importance of self-acceptance in happiness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Mermaid, Msunn and LindaRK like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ellen. Thanks for posting that about self-acceptance.

There's a lot of good to ponder in it.

I think most of us in the forums accept ourselves, but maybe some of us over-do it in wanting to
    please ourselves as we also want to please others.

We can't all be crusaders or Mother Teresas. But we can do little things and be kind to others that
    make them and us feel better. A note, an email, a phone call to someone who might need cheering up.

It makes them happy and us, too.

3. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Thanks Ellen. Great article. There's a saying I like: "Comparison is the enemy of contentment". When I accept myself, other people, and situations that I may not like but can't change, I feel like I get to be present for my life.

Sometimes easier said than done:)

All the best

Ellen likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Between a visit from a friend and learning more about his divorce and ex-wife and their three kids in their late teens
    and early twenties and their trouble coping, and then watching Cate Blanchett suffering in the new film "Blue Jasmine"
    it was quite an evening of "acceptance." I guess I endured it all because I thought how lucky I am not to have any of
    their problems. I even slept well and had a good dream. My life may not be perfect, but it is pretty darn good.